Kane

Default Excel enters date as a text format

Hi, I have Excel 2003 and have been working with 2000 for a while (hate that
new feature with error checking,etc.)

Anyways, I have a problem when trying to enter a date (ie. entering as
2/15/2005 or 2-15-2005) it's always entering it as a text format (ie.
'2/15/2005).

Well, this is leaving a problem with me because I can't change it to a
different date format now because it's recognizing it as a text instead of a
date.

I never had this problem with Excel 2000, I just entering the date and it
automatically enters it as a date. What the heck is going on with Excel 2003
(so far I'm not impressed that even a little thing as entering a date
Microsoft manages to complicate it)
Ron de Bruin

Hi Kane

Look if the cells are format as Text
Select the cells and use Ctrl-1

Change it to general

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Kane" wrote in message ...
Hi, I have Excel 2003 and have been working with 2000 for a while (hate that
new feature with error checking,etc.)

Anyways, I have a problem when trying to enter a date (ie. entering as
2/15/2005 or 2-15-2005) it's always entering it as a text format (ie.
'2/15/2005).

Well, this is leaving a problem with me because I can't change it to a
different date format now because it's recognizing it as a text instead of a
date.

I never had this problem with Excel 2000, I just entering the date and it
automatically enters it as a date. What the heck is going on with Excel 2003
(so far I'm not impressed that even a little thing as entering a date
Microsoft manages to complicate it)

Gord Dibben

Kane

Perhaps your Regional Options Short Date setting is dd/mm/yyyy.

If that is the case then 15/2/2005 would be a date and 2/15/2005 is text.

Either learn to enter dates in that format or change the Regional Options to
mm/dd/yyyy

Gord Dibben Excel MVP