Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Name Manager

(attn: Jan Karel Pieterse)

Several weeks ago, you helped me install NM, etc.

Now, I wish to copy defined names from one workbook to another.

I have Name Manager 4.0..although I do not know why it is in the Program
Files/Microsoft Office/Office 10/Library folder.

In any event, somehow, I opened it...but I have NO IDEA how to use it.

The buttons at thje top of the page a

a + sign...add a defined name
an icon...update the selected names in the worksheet listing with the
information in the worksheet list
an !...refresh the list of names and their refers-to
an i...who created Name Manager

At the right of the page a Choose Name Filters

etc.

Now what???

Can you kindly help me transfer defined names from one workbook to another.

Do I open the workbooks?...ie. the source and the blank destination
workbooks? or what?

Thank you,

FLKulchar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Francis,

I have Name Manager 4.0..although I do not know why it is in the Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office 10/Library folder.

Because it is installed there.

a + sign...add a defined name
an icon...update the selected names in the worksheet listing with the information in the worksheet list
an !...refresh the list of names and their refers-to
an i...who created Name Manager

It may be easier to use the text based buttons. On the bottom-right
there is a listbox with checkboxes in it. The last item
in that list says "button icons". Remove the checkbox of that item and
you'll get buttons with textual descriptions.

To copy names from book A to B:

- open book A and B
- with book A active, open the Name Manager and click the "List"
button.
- click no if you want to list all names, click yes to list only the
ones visible in the Name Manager screen
- close name manager
- choose window, arrange, tiled.
- copy the worksheet named "Names 2006-nov-14" (date is today's date)
to workbook B by dragging it from A to B whilst
holding the control key.
- Make sure workbook B is active and start name manager again and click
the pickup button.
- select the names you want included in workbook B.

Note that book B should have all worksheets (which have defined names)
named identically to workbook A

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
JKP Application Development Services
http://www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did ALL that you said icons disappearing, etc...

The trouble is the LIST button is not "clickable" as it is not
highlighted..only the "ADD" and "PICKUP" buttons are available.

Please explain,
thanks, FLKulchar
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Francis,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The list button is only enabled when there are defined names (insert,
name, define) present in the active workbook. So first select the
workbook with the names you want copied.

FLKulchar wrote:

I did ALL that you said icons disappearing, etc...

The trouble is the LIST button is not "clickable" as it is not
highlighted..only the "ADD" and "PICKUP" buttons are available.

Please explain,
thanks, FLKulchar
wrote in message
oups.com...