Durham

Default nine digit zip code won't print in mail merge

I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
else have this problem or know a solution?

Debra Dalgleish

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Durham

Yes, I know it's pulling from the right field because all the names/address
with just the 5-digit zip code come in fine. My worse case scenerio is that
I'll just have to remove the 4-digit extension from those zips that have it;
I was just trying to avoid that - maybe the software is only set up to handle
5 digits in a zip code field. Thanks for the response!

"Durham" wrote in message
: I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
: merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
: 9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
: else have this problem or know a solution?

Durham

Thank you so much! I tried all the solutions and found one that worked - the
DDE. It's a pain, but at least it's a solution! Thanks again for taking the
time to point me to that...hopefully I can return the favor some time!

Durham wrote:
I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
else have this problem or know a solution?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

golfer

Durham:

Did you ever figure out how to include the zip+4 into the mail merge
document? I need help now with it..can't seem to get it. Thanks!

"Durham" wrote:

I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
else have this problem or know a solution?

Dave Peterson

Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
Another way is to cheat!

Use a helper cell with a formula like:
=text(a1,"00000-0000")
and copy down

This will be treated like text in your mail merge.

"Durham" wrote:

I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
else have this problem or know a solution?

--

Dave Peterson
jaewon223

I also had a similar problem and I found a workaround to this that is quite
simple. the first cell of the zipcode format it as a text cell and then keep
the rest as specialzip code, or number. when you merge it will retain all
the zipcodes with their digits instead of converting it. don't know why it
does that but after messing around awhile i found this works.

"Durham" wrote:

I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
else have this problem or know a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've been meaning to search for this problem for ages. Australian post codes
(zip codes) are just four digits long. Whenever I do a Word mail merge to
print labels (and sometimes letters, I think), the post code randomly prints
as a zero (0). It seems to be completely random. It doesn't matter if it's
formatted as text or a number, and the next time round, it'll print OK.

I'll try this DDE and see how it goes!

Phil

--
Sproxton in Sydney

Durham wrote:
I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
else have this problem or know a solution?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same problem but when I format (right click and choose "format
cells") the Zip Cell in Excel to Zip+4 it works good in excel except in the
formula bar. In Word it shows up as 9 numbers just like the formula bar in
excel.

"Durham" wrote in message
: I have a name/address document set up in Excel and when I try to do a mail
: merge for address labels into Word, the addresses that have the extended,
: 9-digit zip code won't print the zip code. All that prints is a "0". Anyone
: else have this problem or know a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra Dalgleish posted this:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

I often cheat instead of racking my brain.

I'll insert another column (probably hidden!) and use:
=text(a2,"ddmmyy")
(or whatever format I want)
and use that field in the mailmerge.

(Cheating doesn't bother me anymore <vbg.)