Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can't open a file on one computer but can on another

A few months ago i created an excel 2007 workbook and saved it in xlsx file
format. This file is only 441kb. I've worked on the file off and on since
creation. I went to work on the file today and everytime i've opened the
file it has froze my computer. Now i've backed up the file to an external
hard drive at various stages and have restored these with different names and
locations all with the same result. I am able to open any other xls or xlsx
file with no problems. I've restarted the computer and checked for updates
and have run Microsoft diagnostics. I am also current on my antivirus and
have scanned for infections. All have been negative.

I was able to get the file opened once, miracously. Once opened i saved to
..xls format under a different file name. In the process it froze again but
for some reason it successfully saved. I copied the file to a thumb drive
and brought upstairs to my other computer. I opened the xls formatted file
successfully with full operation.

Why can i not open the file on the computer that created the file? What
other steps can i take? I'm guessing some kind of corruption has happened
but don't know what or where to look. Thanks for any ideas.

Rob