Mike R

Default Loading excel

I just installed xl2000 on my laptop. I have been using it on my pc so I
copied and pasted my personalxl file into the xlstart folder, thinking I
would have things at least close to the same on the laptop. The problem:
Now when I open XL I have to select New to get a new workbook opened. If I
remove personalxl from the xlstart folder everything works the way it is
supposed to. I tried to save a workbook to the xlstart as a template with
the name book.xlt and that did not help. (I did that after I put personalxl
back into the xlstart folder.) I think I am missing this by a Period or
something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike R.

Jeff

Mike,

You might check from Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File
Types, scroll to the XLS file association, and then click on the
Advanced Button, then select the "Open" Action, then click the Edit
button. Chances are it has a /e startup switch which defeats the
automatic new workbook opening ... as in:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /e

or maybe like this for me in Excel 2003

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"

HTH,

Jeff

Jeff

And removing the /e will enable the behavior you want.

Jeff

Mike R

Hi Jeff thanks for the post.
Great instructions and was able to follow the path easily. Found exactly
what you thought I would.....but it did not fix it when I removed the "/e".
So I put it back. Any other ideas! It is not that much to select "New" each
time I need a new workbook but it is "just one more step to take". Thank you
for the help

Mike R.

"Jeff" wrote:

And removing the /e will enable the behavior you want.

Jeff

Jeff

Perhaps if you try putting your book.xlt back in your XLSTART folder
now, AND with the "/e" removed as previous, this will now work ...?

Jeff

Mike R

Jeff Thanks for the post back
I did have the book.xlt template in the XLSTART folder. Is there a setting
in toolsoptions that may need to be set? I tried ignor other applications
to no avail. It seems to me that there must be a conflict between the
XLSTART folder and what ever causes it to work when the personalxl file is
not in there. I don't know if that makes any sense. When I start xl without
personalxl in the XLSTART folder everything works fine. I therefore think
there is a conflict created when I place personalxl into the XLSTART folder
By the way, is there supposed to be a "." (period) between personal & xl?

Thanks again for the help!!

Mike R.

"Jeff" wrote:

Perhaps if you try putting your book.xlt back in your XLSTART folder
now, AND with the "/e" removed as previous, this will now work ...?

Jeff

Jeff

Mike - the file is actually called "personal.xls" - I had thought you
just had a typo when I saw your "personalxl" - I don't understand how
you are getting anything you use in that file to work if you have
somehow named it just "personalxl" ...? The next thing I would look at
is if you have an Auto_Open procedure in this file ... that might be
affecting things here ... is there such a procedure there? If so, can
you post the contents here?

Jeff

Mike R

Jeff Thanks for the post.
I have re-installed the program, got the personal.xls straight. (It did not
work because I had screwed it up from when I got it from my PC and did not
double chek it, but thought something was wrong.) Thanks for that
correction!!! The code that I have placed in that file a
protect/unprotect, the code to name a sheet (tab)from one of the cells. And
on sheet 2 I have code to Highlight row and column of the selected cell. Very
basic stuff, and can't find any Auto_Open procedures. Maybe I am not
looking in all the right places. Thanks for the help..

Mike R.
"Jeff" wrote:

Mike - the file is actually called "personal.xls" - I had thought you
just had a typo when I saw your "personalxl" - I don't understand how
you are getting anything you use in that file to work if you have
somehow named it just "personalxl" ...? The next thing I would look at
is if you have an Auto_Open procedure in this file ... that might be
affecting things here ... is there such a procedure there? If so, can
you post the contents here?

Jeff

Jeff

Mike, I am not sure what is different in your environment ... removing
the /e from the XLS file association worked for me (unless I had
another Workbook in the XLSTART file which also auto-starts, in which
case it does not create book1.xls). A couple of other things you might
check are in your Personal.xls file, did you look in the "ThisWorkbook"
module for a Workbook_Open procedure that might be affecting this?
Although, I would have thought any such would have behaved the same on
both your PC & laptop ...). Also, if you have any add-ins that load
when starting Excel ... perhaps something there is affecting this? At
any rate,
if you copy the following code to the "ThisWorkbook" module of your
Personal.xls file, this will open it for you when starting Excel:

Sub Workbook_Open()

On Error Resume Next

Workbooks("Book1.Xls").Activate

If Err < 0 Then

Workbooks.Add

' Or if you want to base the new workbook on a template, delete the
"Workbooks.Add"
'above and uncomment the following line (substitute the correct
path to your xlt file):

'Workbooks.Open filename:=C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\Book.XLT"

End

End If

On Error GoTo 0

End Sub

HTH,

Jeff

Mike R

Jeff Thanks for the post

I placed or code and it did not work. Knowing very well that you are trying
to fit a problem that you can't see and you are only interpreting what I am
giving you, I think it is time to let you off the hook with a major THANK
YOU. There is something else happening here and I think I need to back up
(or out) and look at what is happening and possibly why. I will look at what
I have done, because it has to be there. I have other avenues of help that
might work. I would never discount your effort, but I do know you are
working blind Thanks again so much for your time and effort.

Mike R.

"Jeff" wrote:

[...]

Jeff

Sorry, none of this is working, Mike. I tested both solutions and they
worked fine for me ... the only thing I can think of is you either have
an add-in that is affecting your environment or perhaps something went
amiss in the Excel installation on your laptop. Perhaps either running
"Help | Detect and Repair", or if that fails, try re-installing Excel
(I know you said "you re-intalled the program" but I wasn't sure if you
just meant the Personal.xls file ...

Jeff

Mike R

Jeff thanks for the post..

I fixed it!!!! What I did was save all the code to a word file and deleted
the personal.xlt file. I then rebuilt it without any code and it worked.
Now I will add in my code one at a time and see what caused the problem!
One thing that I found unusual (or at least different). My XLSTART file was
not located where everyone elses is. It is at c:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\XLSTART. Had to search for that. What I had done before was
the search but I did not look for the path I just went to the file.
When you kept asking about the code that might be in the personal file that
made me decide to get rid of it and start over. Thanks again for all the
help.

Mike R.

"Jeff" wrote:

Sorry, none of this is working, Mike. I tested both solutions and they
worked fine for me ... the only thing I can think of is you either have
an add-in that is affecting your environment or perhaps something went
amiss in the Excel installation on your laptop. Perhaps either running
"Help | Detect and Repair", or if that fails, try re-installing Excel
(I know you said "you re-intalled the program" but I wasn't sure if you
just meant the Personal.xls file ...

Jeff

Jeff

I'm glad you have some progress here, Mike. I assume you meant
personal.xls (NOT personal.xlt) in your above post ... BTW, the XLSTART
folder is located in different places depending upon Excel/Windows
version.

Jeff