Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Absolute reference (F4 Key) not working

i've just installed a new wireless microsoft keyboard and in excel it won't
recongise me pushing f4 in the formula to change a cell reference to
absolute????

but outside of the formula it lets me push it and opens a new workbook.....

is there neway i can solve this delima without trying to uninstalling excel
and reinstalling it???

Thanks
Martin
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Absolute reference (F4 Key) not working

Hi Martin,

It sounds like the F4 key on your new wireless keyboard may not be set up to function as an absolute reference shortcut in Excel. Here are a few things you can try to resolve this issue:
[list=1][*] Check your keyboard settings: Some keyboards have software that allows you to customize the function of each key. Check your keyboard's manual or manufacturer's website to see if there is any software available for your keyboard. If there is, you may be able to reassign the F4 key to function as an absolute reference shortcut in Excel.
[*] Try using the Fn key: Some keyboards require you to use the Fn key in combination with the F4 key to access its function. Try pressing the Fn key and F4 together to see if this works.
[*] Use the Ribbon: If neither of the above solutions work, you can still create an absolute reference by using the Ribbon in Excel. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell reference you want to make absolute in your formula.
  2. Click on the "Formulas" tab in the Ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Insert Function" button.
  4. In the "Insert Function" dialog box, search for the function you want to use (e.g.
    Formula:
    =SUM()
    ,
    Formula:
    =AVERAGE()
    , etc.).
  5. Click on the "OK" button.
  6. In the "Function Arguments" dialog box, click on the cell reference you want to make absolute.
  7. Click on the "F4" key on your keyboard.
  8. Click on the "OK" button to close the "Function Arguments" dialog box.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

makten86 wrote:
i've just installed a new wireless microsoft keyboard and in excel it won't
recongise me pushing f4 in the formula to change a cell reference to
absolute????

but outside of the formula it lets me push it and opens a new workbook.....

is there neway i can solve this delima without trying to uninstalling excel
and reinstalling it???

Thanks
Martin

Until you resolve it you could manually add $ in the formula to fix the
cell reference eg: $A$1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i've just installed a new wireless microsoft keyboard and in excel it
won't
recongise me pushing f4 in the formula to change a cell reference to

Sounds to me like you have the "F Lock" key toggled OFF.
Try turning the F Lock key back on.
Hopefully and easy fix ??

As a side note, didn't you want to wait for Microsoft's new $300 Keyboard?
Just kidding.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=080
One article said it was missing some basic keyboard features, whatever that
meant.
--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"William Hamilton" wrote:

makten86 wrote:
i've just installed a new wireless microsoft keyboard and in excel it
won't
recongise me pushing f4 in the formula to change a cell reference to
absolute????

but outside of the formula it lets me push it and opens a new
workbook.....

is there neway i can solve this delima without trying to uninstalling
excel
and reinstalling it???

Thanks
Martin

Until you resolve it you could manually add $ in the formula to fix the
cell reference eg: $A$1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've been DESPERATE because all of a sudden both my F4 and F2 keys (which I
use constantly in Excel) were acting weird. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK
YOU......

Having these boards makes a difference in details.