Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel VBA Help Files (*.chm) and Location

When using Help from within the Excel Visual Basic Editor I find that
all the links to "Visual Basic Application" topic do not work. By
not work I mean that clicking on the topic simply does nothing; no help
comes up. I have run the Office installation again and have made sure
the VBA help files are included so I know they are on my computer. The
question I have is what are the VBA help files necessary for proper
Help operation (maybe VB*.chm), where are they placed by the install
program and where do they need to be located to allow for proper Help
operation? Please advise.

Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DCSwearingen

I had a similar issue last year.

I posted my problem and the attached response helped me solve the
issue. Just be sure to actually use the DOS Command Prompt if you try
re-registering. I originally tried running the two commands from Start
Run on the Windows Start Button and it did not help.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
This problem is described in Knowledge Base article 822989
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822989). If installing Critical
Update 811630 or Service Pack 4 isn't an option for you -- or if the
problem persists after you install these items -- then you could try
re-registering the HTML Help ActiveX control. (This is the component
responsible for the links in the help files.) To re-register the
control, open a Command Prompt window and type these two commands:

regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hhctrl.ocx

--
Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

--