Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jseabold

Default Complex if test program possible? If "value" "value", paste "value" in another cell?

I am fairly new to the world of Excel programming but have decent
familiarity with the embedded functions. However, I was wondering if
it is possible to write a program or perhaps a function (though I don't
think a simple if test will work, but that's the basic idea, it just
seems much too tedious!) which will go down through each cell in a
column of many cells, evaluate that column, then evaluate another
column, then possibly another column, and then paste a certain string
of text in another column. For example, if A3 = "Disney", if B3 =
"Orlando," if C3 = "August" then "Sweltering Heat" would be posted in
D3. The if tests would also need to differentiate between hundreds of
possible strings of text and the then result would need to able to post
hundreds of different strings as well. Any help would be much
appreciated. I'm not asking for the program to be written, just a
general direction to go in. I'm pretty comfortable with a computer and
programming once I know where to go. Thanks for any help!

--
jseabold
jseabold's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30990

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Kind of like a =vlookup() based on multiple cells to match on?

You can use this kind of syntax:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)*(b2=othersheet !$b$1:$b$100),0))
(one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

And just keep adding more stuff to that product portion of the formula:

=index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)
*(c2=othersheet!$c$1:$c$100),0))