Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Change a chart value axis

I set up a basic stacked chart with a y axis of 0-100, which I think was the
default scale. When I try to change the maximum to 125, the minimum
automatically changes to -15.

When I change the minimum back to 0, and leave the maximum at 125 - making
sure box selections are checked because they automatically uncheck - the
chart changes to 0 and 100.

This is certainly buggy. Any work-arounds?

Regina
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The check box turns on automatic scaling, they uncheck when you type in a
value, because then it is no longer automatic. Checking the box turns
automatic back on and ignores the values you typed in. Change your values
and leave the boxes unchecked and it will work.

"regae72" wrote:

I set up a basic stacked chart with a y axis of 0-100, which I think was the
default scale. When I try to change the maximum to 125, the minimum
automatically changes to -15.

When I change the minimum back to 0, and leave the maximum at 125 - making
sure box selections are checked because they automatically uncheck - the
chart changes to 0 and 100.

This is certainly buggy. Any work-arounds?

Regina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

What version of Excel?

In 97-2003, if you enter a custom value, the Auto box unchecks itself,
meaning Excel will not try to pick a value automatically, but will instead
use the value you entered. If you check the Auto box, then your entry is
ignored. You have to keep both boxes (min and max) unchecked.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"regae72" wrote in message
I set up a basic stacked chart with a y axis of 0-100, which I think was
the
default scale. When I try to change the maximum to 125, the minimum
automatically changes to -15.

When I change the minimum back to 0, and leave the maximum at 125 - making
sure box selections are checked because they automatically uncheck - the
chart changes to 0 and 100.

This is certainly buggy. Any work-arounds?

Regina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

Excel 2003.

That doesn't make sense to me, but it worked. So this was fixed in 2007
(which I refuse to use)?

Thanks for your help.

Boni, I can't read your response, because it "has not been rated yet,"
although it appears to have been entered before Jon's response.

But thanks for whatever you wrote. :)

Regina

"regae72" wrote in message
I set up a basic stacked chart with a y axis of 0-100, which I think was
the
default scale. When I try to change the maximum to 125, the minimum
automatically changes to -15.

When I change the minimum back to 0, and leave the maximum at 125 - making
sure box selections are checked because they automatically uncheck - the
chart changes to 0 and 100.

This is certainly buggy. Any work-arounds?

Regina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It wasn't corrected so much as made clearer, so the user has two choices for
each value: Auto or Fixed.

To me, the Auto checkbox always made sense as allowing Excel to
automatically set the parameter, but a lot of people misinterpret this.

- Jon
-------

"regae72" wrote in message
I set up a basic stacked chart with a y axis of 0-100, which I think was
the
default scale. When I try to change the maximum to 125, the minimum
automatically changes to -15.

When I change the minimum back to 0, and leave the maximum at 125 -
making
sure box selections are checked because they automatically uncheck -
the
chart changes to 0 and 100.

This is certainly buggy. Any work-arounds?

Regina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

The only "auto" setting I saw previously was on the Patterns tab. But I
looked again at the Scale tab and finally noticed "Auto" above the
checkboxes. I'm glad they have now indicated Auto and Fixed; perhaps it will
be more apparent.

Thanks again to both of you. I haven't created an Excel Chart in years - no
need to - so you helped me out in a pinch.

Regina