Walter.

Default PROBLEMS WITH DISPLAY EQUATIONS ON CHART

In Excel I have added a polynomial trendline to a graph and clicked 'display
equation on chart'. The equation does not represent what the trendline
displays. The trendline line goes through all my 6 data points, but the when
i use the equation it is wrong. Any idea's please.
Michael R Middleton

Walter -

In Excel I have added a polynomial trendline to a graph and clicked
'display equation on chart'. The equation does not represent what the
trendline displays. The trendline line goes through all my 6 data points,
but the when i use the equation it is wrong. Any idea's please. <

Three ideas:

(1) Click the trendline equation (to select it), and click the Increase
Decimal button repeatedly to display more significant figures.

(2) Be sure to use the XY (Scatter) chart type, not the Line chart type
(which uses X values of 1,2,3,... for the trendline).

(3) If you are using an XY (Scatter) chart type, check to see that the data
on your worksheet are numerical. If a cell has text (that looks like a
number) instead of actual numbers, the trendline uses 1,2,3,... for X.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com