Azhar Arain

Default Counting Cells with multiple criteria.One criteria supporting wild

How can I count cells starting with character "C" in second column and
related with the name John only.

John Car
Steve Bus
Bush Cycle
Powell Truck
Bruce Van
Bush Car
Powell Bus
Powell Cycle
Bruce Truck
John Van
Steve Car
Steve Bus
Bush Cycle
Powell Truck
John Van
John Cycle
John Car

Max

Assuming the source data is in cols A and B,

Try in say, C1:

=SUMPRODUCT((TRIM(A1:A100)="John")*(LEFT(TRIM(B1:B 100),1)="C"))

Adjust the ranges to suit

Note: You can't use entire col references (A:A, B:B, etc) in SUMPRODUCT

--
Rgds
Max