Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SouthCarolina

Default How do I automatically fill a cell based on another cell in Excel

I am trying to fill an adjacent cell based on the input in another cell.
Here are the particulars. I have created a pull down list in one cell. The
list contains all of the parts that our mechanics order. Now when one of the
parts are chosen I would like for Excel to populate the next cell over with
the price of the part automatically. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Yes,
I assume you already have a price for every part in the list somewhere. So
what you need is a VLOOKUP formula.

=VLOOKUP(A1,your range, 2,0)
A1 is the cell with the drop down list
your range - range where you have your part list in one column and the
corresponding price in another column.
2 is the price column, in this case it would be the second column in your
range.

HTH
JG

"SouthCarolina" wrote:

I am trying to fill an adjacent cell based on the input in another cell.
Here are the particulars. I have created a pull down list in one cell. The
list contains all of the parts that our mechanics order. Now when one of the
parts are chosen I would like for Excel to populate the next cell over with
the price of the part automatically. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

Yes, the VLOOKUP function will do this. Look at the examples in the Help
file. Post back if you need further help.

HTH,
Elkar

"SouthCarolina" wrote:

I am trying to fill an adjacent cell based on the input in another cell.
Here are the particulars. I have created a pull down list in one cell. The
list contains all of the parts that our mechanics order. Now when one of the
parts are chosen I would like for Excel to populate the next cell over with
the price of the part automatically. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SouthCarolina

Default How do I automatically fill a cell based on another cell in Ex

Thanks for the help. It worked perfectly.