Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Microsoft Visual Basic errors displaid when opening Microsoft Word 97 & Excel (7

Operating System Windows Vista.

When I open Microsoft Word 97 I get a Microsoft Visual Basic error message "
Compile error in hidden module: Autoexec" If I click OK the program appears
to function properly.

When I click on Excel 97 shortcut three Windows open namely:
Microsoft Visual Basic - PDF Writer.xla (running)

PDF Writer.xla-AutoExec (Code)

PDF Writer.xla- Registration Database (Code) with a Microsoft Visual Basic
error message "compile error: can't find project or library"
When I click on close I get message "This command will stop the debugger"
Click on OK and Excel opens and appears to function normally.

Both of these programs worked perfectly under XPPro and were working on
Vista
before these error messages started to appear.

Advice as to how to correct this fault associated with the Office Programs
would be appreciated.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I have no idea about the code that pdmaker.xla is, but...

Take a look he

OFF: "Compile Error in Hidden Module" Error Message When You Start
Word or Excel

It points at PDFMaker.xla as being the culprit.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Dave
I thought I sent you a reply to your helpful post yesterday but it obviously
got lost somewhere.
When installation of the latest updates in Adrobe reader 8 failed to correct
the errors I removed PDFWriter.xla from the Microsoft Office Xstart folder
but that did not work either. However,you have pointed me in the right
direction & I have not given up yet. I feel sure that there is an answer to
the problem somewhere.

Many thanks for your help

Regards
JJ Mac

JJ mac wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Sometimes that folder can be hard to find.

Maybe you can use an old DOS command.

close excel
shell to DOS
windows start button|Run
cmd (windows 2k/xp)
command (windows 98)

At the DOS prompt:
C: (to get to the C: drive)
cd\ (to get to the root directory)

dir pdf*.xl* /s

the /s means to search through subdirectories.

Make a note of the location(s) you find.

JJ mac wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Microsoft Visual Basic errors displaid when opening Microsoft

Hi Dave
I have returned after being away for a few days. I have recently switched
from XPPro to Vista and am still struggling to find my way around the latter.
I found the files OK. I was trying out this and that and am not sure what
exactly I did but when I returned to Word and Excel I found that the
Microsoft Visual Basic compile errors had gone. Normality has now been
resumed except for a new unrelated error which has appeared in Excel after I
had made some changes in a Macro. When I invoke the Macro I get an error
message €śError accessing the system registry€ť If I click OK to acknowledge
the message and then reinvoke the Macro it runs without any apparent error.
I can live with that one. Many thanks for your help.

Kind Regards
JJ Mac

--
JJ MacA

JJ mac wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I don't have a guess why you get that new warning.

If it's from a macro that you wrote, maybe you can share the portion of code
that causes the error.

If it's from a macro that someone else wrote, you may want to show it to him/her
so that they can see what Vista does to it (just a guess that Vista may be the
cause).

JJ mac wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I did indeed write the Macro. On checking I found the first line of the Macro
viz "Sub Macro7 ()" was highlighted in yellow. Not seeing any apparant fault
with this line I simply deleted it and retyped it back in again exactly as it
was. That solved the problem.
I have experienced this sort of thing before, albiet more often in the body
of the code, where retyping a portion of code is required to correct a
problem.
--
JJ MacA

jj mac wrote:

Hi Dave
I have returned after being away for a few days. I have recently switched
from XPPro to Vista and am still struggling to find my way around the latter.
I found the files OK. I was trying out this and that and am not sure what
exactly I did but when I returned to Word and Excel I found that the
Microsoft Visual Basic compile errors had gone. Normality has now been
resumed except for a new unrelated error which has appeared in Excel after I
had made some changes in a Macro. When I invoke the Macro I get an error
message €œError accessing the system registry€ If I click OK to acknowledge

JJ mac wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I've seen people copy invisible/invalid characters into the code window.

Maybe you did that????

Deleting the line and retyping would fix that kind of problem.