Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart types"

Hi,

I have installed Excel 2007, and I can't create any chart, the message
"Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart types"

keeps poping up, are there any settings that i have miss out?

thank you

regards

kh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This happens with any chart at all that you try to create?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"roadsidetree" wrote in message

I have installed Excel 2007, and I can't create any chart, the message
"Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a
different chart types"
keeps poping up, are there any settings that i have miss out?
thank you
regards
kh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Ya, any chart, i can't do column, line, pie, bar, area, scatter and all
others.

i can do smartart and shapes.

i wonder why.

kh

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
This happens with any chart at all that you try to create?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"roadsidetree" wrote in message

I have installed Excel 2007, and I can't create any chart, the message
"Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a
different chart types"
keeps poping up, are there any settings that i have miss out?
thank you
regards
kh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be combined with oth

I don't have answer for why not any charts. I've managed to get scatter
charts to work in 2007 and that is the only type I've really tried. My only
guess at this point would be a bad install of Excel? But wait for more
Although trying a repair installation may help.

As for why no charts but art/shapes are ok - could very well be that charts
is done with a different 'engine'. I do know that the chart engine for 2007
is a whole new beast, not just a port over from 2003.

"roadsidetree" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for the replies, actually i have tried repair,
uninstall-reboot-reinstall. but still none of the charts works. i think i'm
not the only one facing the problem, found 2 postings in google group that
mentioned the same problem.

i'm running Windows 2003 standard edition, upgraded from office 2003 to
office 2007.

thank you
kh

"roadsidetree" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Office 2007: Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannotbe combined with others

Had this problem as well.
Not sure if its the exact same one.
I was able to insert charts with all other user accounts except my own.
If you can do that, then its likely that its the same issue.
This is what I did to fix it.
<Disclaimer: be prepared to re-enter any application settings you have had before!

1. Log in a local Admin - Very IMPORTANT!
2. Navigate to 'Documents and Settings'
3. Locate the problematic user account folder i.e. the one that is giving the chart error above...
4. BACK IT UP (to another drive)
5. Confirm back up done... then delete everything in that user account - all files and folders.
What this does effectively is wiping out all Local Settings for that user account (and any cache that Office has created, so beware!)
6. Log out as local Admin and log in as the user that had the chart problem. Windows will now initiate a new clean setup for the user (basically it takes parameters from 'default user')
7. At this point launch excel and do a simple list and try creating the chart.
This worked for me... hope it does for you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Your "fix" doesn't address the subject line of the thread. How does hosing a
user account allow a user to combine chart types which Excel does not allow
to be combined?

- Jon
-------

<mark has wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Office 2007: Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be comb

Hi I have this problem as well
and the 'fix' did work, at the expense of me having to reset all my personal
settings..
however, this 'fix' is only temporary until after a while the same error
pops up again when i try to insert charts in excel 2007

Anyone has any other solutions?

<mark has wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

all charts?
and to add on, opening files containing charts create problems.
- excel files with excel2007 charts - error in opening
- excel files with excel2003 charts - charts will not be shown

i have since moved back to office 2003, seems like office07 doesnt really
like me :/

<mark has wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

FWIW, I don't use 2007 for "real work" either. But it seems your problems
are beyond anything I've experienced while playing with 2007. Perhaps there
was a problem installing 2007, or there is a corrupted library somewhere, or
installing SP1 would help. I'm only speculating, of course.

- Jon
-------

<mark has wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

I am suffering from the same issue as described above. I use Excel for
creating quotes and never used the Chart buttons. Suddenly I needed a
presentation with charts and to my surprise the Chart button didn't do
anything. I have run the diagnostic tool for MS Office but no problem has
been found. I will try logging by a different account and see if it works.

<mark has wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

What do you mean by "the chart buttons"
Select the range of cells to be plotted; open the Insert tab on the Ribbon
and select one of the chart type. Are you saying nothing happens?
We want to help so please give us all the info
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

FWIW, I don't use 2007 for "real work" either. But it seems your problems
are beyond anything I've experienced while playing with 2007. Perhaps
there
was a problem installing 2007, or there is a corrupted library somewhere,
or
installing SP1 would help. I'm only speculating, of course.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<mark has wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

John, Bernard, Other MVPs who can bring light.... :)

I'm having this problem too and it makes no sense. I'm just selecting a
range of dates and a range of values to make a line chart. I'm a pretty
experienced user with VBA and advanced formulas under my belt and I've never
seen anything like this before. Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of
this. Most frustrating....!

FYI I have two workbooks open right now and seem to be able to chart fine on
one. In fact I can even chart data on other sheets in the affected workbook -
just one sheet seems to be affected.

Thanks for any help...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

What is the name of the sheet that raises the error?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"gilomarv" wrote in message
John, Bernard, Other MVPs who can bring light.... :)

I'm having this problem too and it makes no sense. I'm just selecting a
range of dates and a range of values to make a line chart. I'm a pretty
experienced user with VBA and advanced formulas under my belt and I've
never
seen anything like this before. Has anyone been able to get to the bottom
of
this. Most frustrating....!

FYI I have two workbooks open right now and seem to be able to chart fine
on
one. In fact I can even chart data on other sheets in the affected
workbook -
just one sheet seems to be affected.

Thanks for any help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

We want to help so please give us all the info

Hang on there a minute, woah there horsey...

I'm also getting this issue, trying to get 4 chart templates from my Excel
2003 spreadsheet to work in Excel 2007.

Before I start deleting User Profiles (you gotta be kidding me..) and
other dodgy fixes, could you explain:

What does this error actually mean ?

"Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a
different chart type."

We have to suffer this error, perhaps you could eleborate on what it means ?

*What type* of Chart Types can't be combined with others ? What are the
criteria to make this error appear ?

Mike Gledhill
Frustrated (and reluctant) Excel 2007 user.