Ed Isenberg

Default Formatting a footer with a top border-line

I am using Excel 2002, but this seems to be a problem for me with Word 2002
as well. I want to format my footer with a top border (i.e., there should be
a border-line just over the footer and between it and the rest of the page.

I seem to remember being able to do this. With Word, I can format the footer
with a box around it, but that looks awful. I just want a nice descrete line
over the footer to separate it from the body of the page.

Clicking the Text Format Tool while in headers/footers only formats the
font, its size, underline/bold/italics, etc. No border lines are available as
options.

I've checked Help and the various FAQs but can't find anything on this
subject, although it would seem to me to be a common request.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Debra Dalgleish

In Excel, you can't add a top border to the footer.

In Word, in the footer, click somewhere in the first line
In the Formatting toolbar, click the arrow at the right of the Border button
Click on the Top Border button, to apply a top border to the first
paragraph in the footer.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Ed Isenberg

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful response.

Too bad about the lack of a footer top-border. It is useful when you have
multiple pages of material and want to set off the footer from the data. I
have been using a different font at a smaller size but the top border
solution would be better.

It is strange that these Office products, which pride themselves on having
as much of a unified interface as possible, are different in this seemingly
minor aspect.

I would love to look at your book but being disabled I have a hard time
affording buying books unless they are very cheap, and even then I need $25
at a time to avoid shipping costs at Amazon. There is no sense buying a $10
book and then paying $4 for shipping, a 40% increase in the price.

Thanks again.

Ed

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

In Excel, you can't add a top border to the footer.

In Word, in the footer, click somewhere in the first line
In the Formatting toolbar, click the arrow at the right of the Border button
Click on the Top Border button, to apply a top border to the first
paragraph in the footer.

Debra Dalgleish

Hi Ed,

One thing you could try in Excel --

In Paint, or another graphics program, create a drawing of a line,
that's about 7" wide. Shrink the image size so it's only the height of
the line, and the width of the line.

Save the graphics file.

In Excel, choose ViewHeader and Footer
Click the Custom Footer button
Click in the Centre section
Click the Insert picture button
Locate and select your line picture, and click Insert
Press the Enter key, and enter the footer text
If you want text in the Left or Right footer section, press the Enter
key, and enter the text on the second line of the section.
When finished, click OK, click OK.

And I don't have a book, just a web site. One of the pages has a list of
Excel books, by a wide variety of authors, that visitors can print, and
take to the book store with them.

Debra