Teng

Default Bar charts with a differing starting point

I need to plot a bar chart where the values is a price range.
In my graph the x-axis is a price range (i.e. 25, 50,100, etc) and the
y-axis is the product name (i.e. toyota, honda, bmw, mercedes, ferrari). The
bar should reflect the position of a prodcut name's price range (i.e. toyota,
25-50) in the graph.

This way toyota will have a bar starting from the 25 grid to the 50 grid,
honda (30-60) will have a bar starting from 30 grid to the 60 grid, etc.
John Mansfield

Teng,

Set your data up like this (assume Toyota is in cell A1, 25 in B1, and 25 in
C1 - Honda info is in row 2):

Toyota 25 25
Honda 30 30

Select the range A1:C2. Go to the Chart Wizard and in step 1 under the
Standard Types tab, choose the Bar - Stacked Bar chart. In step 2 of the
Wizard select Series in: Columns. Go through the rest of the prompts in the
Wizard until the chart appears on your worksheet.

After the chart has appeared on the sheet, select the bars closest to the Y
axis by clicking once on them. Right-click on your mouse and choose Selected
Object from the menu. In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the
Patterns tab. Select Border = None and Area = None.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Teng" wrote:

I need to plot a bar chart where the values is a price range.
In my graph the x-axis is a price range (i.e. 25, 50,100, etc) and the
y-axis is the product name (i.e. toyota, honda, bmw, mercedes, ferrari). The
bar should reflect the position of a prodcut name's price range (i.e. toyota,
25-50) in the graph.

This way toyota will have a bar starting from the 25 grid to the 50 grid,
honda (30-60) will have a bar starting from 30 grid to the 60 grid, etc.

Teng

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your reply, it works!!!

I have always thought that stacked bars are for detailing the sum of the
data. (i.e. if Toyota have sales of 25 in Jan, 20 in Feb and 30 in Mar I
would use the stacked bar graph to illustrate the Toyota sales for the
quarter by adding the three figures in such a way the bar start with 0-25 for
Jan, then extend the bar by 20 more for Feb and finally extend it further by
30 for Mar to come up with a bar of 75 units.