Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Create Formula for Weighted Average in non-consecutive cells

I have a spreadsheet which across the top has the months Jan to Dec and
Total. Under each month is 4 categories Days/oil/gas and would like to
simplify a formula for a weighted avg. eg.

A B C D E F G H I
JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH etc. to December
days Oil gas days Oil Gas days Oil Gas
6 22 13 4 5 18 7 12 15

formula: =(a1*b1+d1*e1+g1*h1)/(a1+e1+g1)

Is there any way to simplity this. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
ferne
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferne View Post
I have a spreadsheet which across the top has the months Jan to Dec and
Total. Under each month is 4 categories Days/oil/gas and would like to
simplify a formula for a weighted avg. eg.

A B C D E F G H I
JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH etc. to December
days Oil gas days Oil Gas days Oil Gas
6 22 13 4 5 18 7 12 15

formula: =(a1*b1+d1*e1+g1*h1)/(a1+e1+g1)

Is there any way to simplity this. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
ferne
If your table is setup as such:

A B C D E F G H I
1 Days Oil Gas Days Oil Gas Days Oil Gas
2 6 22 13 4 5 18 7 12 15

If your formula is =[(Days*Oil)/Gas]

=(SUMIF(A1:I1,"Days",A2:I2)*(SUMIF(A1:I1,"Oil",A2, I2))/SUMIF(A1:I1,"Gas",A2,I2)

But if the table is set such as:

A B C D E F
1 Jan Feb Mar Apr May
2 Days 2 5 3 9 21