Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cam

Default Is there a way to force Excel to close workbooks independently?

When opening and working in multiple workbooks in Excel 2002, each workbook
opens in a separate window. However, when you click on the X in the top
right corner of one workbook, Excel attempts to close all the open workbooks
at once. Is there a way to stop this? Word does not work this way and I
cannot find any reference in the help files on a way to turn this feature
off. Does it require a registry edit?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Word and excel work differently.

In excel, you don't want to use that application X to close any single window.
It closes the application.

But you can just use the sheet's window's X to close that window.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson

Hi Cam,
When I have more than one workbook open and if each open workbook has
only one window, then clicking the little black cross (below the larger
black cross with red background) closes only the active workbook. If an
open workbook has more than one window then clicking that little black
cross only closes the active window.
This is on Excel 2003, Windows XP.
Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cam

The reason this is an issue is that Excel is the only application I use that
functions this way. All other applications close each window independently
and I don't want to have to remember to use a different method of closing a
window just for Excel.

"Cam" wrote:

When opening and working in multiple workbooks in Excel 2002, each workbook
opens in a separate window. However, when you click on the X in the top
right corner of one workbook, Excel attempts to close all the open workbooks
at once. Is there a way to stop this? Word does not work this way and I
cannot find any reference in the help files on a way to turn this feature
off. Does it require a registry edit?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Don't use the X associated with the application window.

use the X associated with the sheet window.

(Yes, excel works differently than MSWord.)