Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default application exports number to excels text....can't format

Hi,

I have an app that sends the results of some number crunching as text.
I need them to be number or currency for further calculations. I've
tried formating cells, I've tried using the currency button, makes no
difference. An apostrophy is visible at the beginning of the number,
and of course I could delete it manually, then convert to text. But
with each workbook containing several thousand lines, this isn't
sustainable. "Find" doesn't find the apostrophy.

Ideas ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jonathan Cooper

The problem is most likely that the initial import formatted the cells as
text. You were on the right track with the formatting thought.

One solution is to insert a helper column that does the conversion for you.

Lets say cell A1 contains the text '1.23

Then in cell M1, you use the following formula. =value(A1).

Copy/paste down as far as you need. Then select that range, and copy/paste
values, to convert that selection from formulas to values. Then delete your
original columns.

After your import, save the excel file as a text file. Then open the text
file from Excel and the text import wizard should do the conversion for you.