Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default #VALUE

I am getting a #VALUE error when trying to add a series of data in different
cells.

Apparently this is due to an "inconsistent formula" with others in the same
area of the worksheet.

I have a list of data that I am accessing through IF, AND, and VLOOKUP
functions. The cell in one column will not show any "inconsistent formula"
errors and provides the correct data. When the formula is moved two cells to
the right and the VLOOKUP function adjusted by 2 columns to make sure it
picks up the correct data then the "inconsistent formula" error is shown.

This is happening on three columns in the worksheet. The good column will
pick up data from the table at column 14. The second will pick up on 11. The
third on column 10. The third on column 16.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am getting a #VALUE error when trying to add a series of data

Does your formula look something like this:

=A1+B1+C1

If you get a #VALUE! error from a formula like that it usually means that at
least one of the referenced cells contains a TEXT entry.

Use the SUM function instead, it ignores text:

=SUM(A1:C1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"dpridemore" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is the formula:
IF($A22=",",IF(AND($A22600,$A22<700),(VLOOKUP($A2 2,Equipment!$I22:$AE478,16)),"))

I understand your comment and will look into it further. There are
circumstances where the formula will return a blank cell. There are other
cells where data is returned. In both cases the inconsistent formula shows
up. These are on columns that I have inserted into the worksheet. The
workbook was originally an Excel 2003 format and is now saved under the Excel
2007 format.

There are also situations in which the same formula is used and a blank cell
occurs and also one in which data is returned buth they do not get the
"inconsistent formula" error.

This causes the summary column to show the #VALUE error. That summary
column is a simple formula of " I17+K17+M17+O17+Q17+S17+U17+W17+Y17+AA17 so I
cant use the SUM function as it skips data in columns.

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"inconsistent formula" is *not your problem*.

That's just Excel trying to alert you that all formulas in the immediate are
are not the same.

That summary column is a simple formula of
"I17+K17+M17+O17+Q17+S17+U17+W17+Y17+AA17
so I cant use the SUM function as it skips data in columns.

You can use the SUM function:

=SUM(I17,K17,M17,O17,Q17,S17,U17,W17,Y17,AA17)

--

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff:
Thanks for your assistance so far.

The problem seemed to be with the next column which had a multiplication
formula - =if(a16="","",If(AND(A16500,A16<600),G1*H1*E1*C1* C7),"")). If the
result was a blank cell then the summary column returned with a #VALUE.

I changed it to use the Product function which solved that issue. Now I am
faced with another- this involving the product function not returning a zero
when multiplying by zero.

If E1 and C1 are blank cells and C7 contains a number it will return the
value of C7 times G1 and H1. I am needing it to return a value of zero which
in my wretched mind is what it should be doing. If G1=1.44 and h1=0, then
the answer should be 0 zero, isnt it? When C1 is blank shouldnt c1*h1 still
equal zero as it is "blank" * 0?

Thanks for your help.

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem seemed to be with the next column which
had a multiplication formula -
=if(a16="","",If(AND(A16500,A16<600),G1*H1*E1*C1 *C7),"")).
If the result was a blank cell then the summary column
returned with a #VALUE

That's why you should use the SUM function. SUM ignores the formula blanks.

If:

A1 = formula blank
A2 = 10

The formula =A1+A2 = #VALUE!

While =SUM(A1,A2) = 10

Now, PRODUCT ignores empty cells and formula blanks *but* if there is only a
single value available then the result is that single value:

A1 = formula blank
A2 = empty cell
A3 = 10

=PRODUCT(A1:A3) = 10

--

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff:
I guess I must be dumber than a rock. How would I use a sum function when I
am trying to multiply?

Thanks again.

David

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Explain what you want to multiply. You don't need the SUM function for
multiplication. Also, don't get confused about blank cells versus empty
cells. They're 2 different things although most folks use "blank" to mean
both.

--

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=if(a16="","",If(AND(A16500,A16<600),G1*H1*E1*C1* C7),""))
if the result was a blank cell then the summary column returned with a
#VALUE instead of a "blank" cell. In this case blank cell means no
mathematical or text data in either cell.

Thanks once more

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We don't seem to be connecting here.

if the result was a blank cell then the summary column
returned with a #VALUE instead of a "blank" cell.

If the result of what was a blank cell, this formula?

=if(a16="","",If(AND(A16500,A16<600),G1*H1*E1*C1 *C7),""))

If that formula returns a blank and you want to include that formulas cell
reference in another formula that gets a total then use the SUM function and
it will ignore the blank.

Or, do you mean these cells are causing the problem:

G1*H1*E1*C1*C7

If those cells are causing the problem what is in those cells? As I noted in
my other reply the PRODUCT function will ignore text (which is what a
formula blank is) and empty cells.

--

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK - sorry about the confusion. If any of the cells G1*H1*E1*C1*C7 the
answer should be zero. There is also a possibility that one of the cells
could be empty of data (not text). If I use the multiplication function and
one is empty then I get an error statement. If I use the product function
then the answer will be whatever cell or cells that have data - which would
be incorrect as they have not been multiplied by zero.

Hope this helps.

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, in other words, if *any cell* within G1,H1,E1,C1,C7 *does not contain a
number* then you want a result of 0 (or blank?)?

Try this:

=IF(A16="","",IF(AND(A16500,A16<600,COUNT(G1,H1,E 1,C1,C7)=5),G1*H1*E1*C1*C7,""))