Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting part of text

I have text in a cell, and I want to format part of it (one word) with a
strike-through font. I selected the word and right clicked, clicked Format
cells, and selected the Strike-through box. While I'm in the edit mode for
that cell, I can see the formatting, but when I click Enter or move to
another cell, the strike-through disappears and only the defaulf format
shows.

I have had the same problem when I've tried to used colored text or
underlining in part of a cell. But I know it's possible to format part of a
cell, because I've done it on other worksheets!

Does anyone know what I might be missing?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Formatting part of text

  1. Select the cell that contains the text you want to format.
  2. Right-click on the cell and select "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the Format Cells dialog box, select the "Font" tab.
  4. Check the box next to "Strikethrough" to apply the formatting to the selected text.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box and apply the formatting.

If the strike-through formatting still doesn't appear, try widening the cell to see if that makes a difference. You can do this by hovering your mouse over the right edge of the cell until the cursor changes to a double arrow, then clicking and dragging the edge of the cell to make it wider.

If you're still having trouble, it's possible that there is some other formatting applied to the cell that is overriding your strike-through formatting. Try selecting the entire cell and removing any other formatting (such as bold or italic) to see if that helps.

I hope this helps you get your formatting working correctly!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click on the cell then in the bar at the top that shows what is in the
cell
highlight with mouse the 3 part of the text you want to change then
Rightclick ( where the text is highlighted)and choose strikethrough.

terrideo wrote:
I have text in a cell, and I want to format part of it (one word) with a
strike-through font. I selected the word and right clicked, clicked Format
cells, and selected the Strike-through box. While I'm in the edit mode for
that cell, I can see the formatting, but when I click Enter or move to
another cell, the strike-through disappears and only the defaulf format
shows.

I have had the same problem when I've tried to used colored text or
underlining in part of a cell. But I know it's possible to format part of a
cell, because I've done it on other worksheets!

Does anyone know what I might be missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's what I did. As long as I'm in edit mode I can see the change, but
when I click Enter or move to another cell, the format doesn't show up.

Is there some setting that allows you to see partial formats?

terrideo wrote:
I have text in a cell, and I want to format part of it (one word) with a
strike-through font. I selected the word and right clicked, clicked Format
cells, and selected the Strike-through box. While I'm in the edit mode for
that cell, I can see the formatting, but when I click Enter or move to
another cell, the strike-through disappears and only the defaulf format
shows.

I have had the same problem when I've tried to used colored text or
underlining in part of a cell. But I know it's possible to format part of a
cell, because I've done it on other worksheets!

Does anyone know what I might be missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is the value in the cell text or a formula (or even a number)?

This kind of character by character formatting only works with text.

So you couldn't use a strikethrough font for just "hello" in the following
formula:
="Hello from us on " & text(today(),"mm/dd/yyyy")

terrideo wrote:

I have text in a cell, and I want to format part of it (one word) with a
strike-through font. I selected the word and right clicked, clicked Format
cells, and selected the Strike-through box. While I'm in the edit mode for
that cell, I can see the formatting, but when I click Enter or move to
another cell, the strike-through disappears and only the defaulf format
shows.

I have had the same problem when I've tried to used colored text or
underlining in part of a cell. But I know it's possible to format part of a
cell, because I've done it on other worksheets!

Does anyone know what I might be missing?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I may have solved it myself -- I changed the number format from
Accounting (my default) to General, and now it works. That would explain why
it worked on other people's spreadsheets, because they still had the General
number default.

terrideo wrote:

I have text in a cell, and I want to format part of it (one word) with a
strike-through font. I selected the word and right clicked, clicked Format
cells, and selected the Strike-through box. While I'm in the edit mode for
that cell, I can see the formatting, but when I click Enter or move to
another cell, the strike-through disappears and only the defaulf format
shows.

I have had the same problem when I've tried to used colored text or
underlining in part of a cell. But I know it's possible to format part of a
cell, because I've done it on other worksheets!

Does anyone know what I might be missing?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oooh.

I think someone else posted that same problem/solution a few weeks ago. But I
had forgotten it.

Thanks for posting back. Now Google has it for anyone who looks there!