Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul987

Default I have a formula that copies itself when adjacent cells are filled in. How?

I have a formula in B25. I put it there. I like it. It is the same
formula that is in b24, with the references adjusted one row, because
I've been dragging it down. I add data to the bottom of the sheet, and
drag down the formula. Now it seems that the formula copies down on its
own, after I enter a value in an adjacent cell. I can't figure out why
it is doing this, even though it is convenient. Any ideas? TIA

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24850

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

That's from Tools/Options/Edit tab - Extend list formats and formulas.

Andy.

"Paul987" wrote in
message ...

I have a formula in B25. I put it there. I like it. It is the same
formula that is in b24, with the references adjusted one row, because
I've been dragging it down. I add data to the bottom of the sheet, and
drag down the formula. Now it seems that the formula copies down on its
own, after I enter a value in an adjacent cell. I can't figure out why
it is doing this, even though it is convenient. Any ideas? TIA

--
Paul987
Paul987's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=525350

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
flummi

This is probably it (excerpt from the help):

Turn on or off extended formats and formulas
When you turn on extended formats and formulas, Microsoft Excel
automatically formats new data that you type at the end of a list to
match the preceding rows and automatically copies formulas that repeat
in every row. To be extended, formats and formulas must appear in at
least three of the five list rows preceding the new row.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Edit tab.

Do one of the following:
To automatically format new items that you add to the end of a list to
match the format of the rest of the list, select the Extend list
formats and formulas check box.

To prevent automatic formatting, clear the check box.

Hans