Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default euro-sterling exchange rate

I have a spreadsheet i use to convert pound sterling to euro's.

I want the spreadsheet to automatically access the current exchange rate
from the internet for pound into euros so that i can push a button that would
update a cell with the current value

Can anyone help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Here's one way:

Select any cell then go to Data/Get external data/New web query, in the text
box type: http://www.x-rates.com/ click OK, select New worksheet in the popup
window, click on Properties, under Refresh Control select "refresh every" and
"refresh data on file open" ,set the amount of minutes interval you wish the
data to refresh and click OK OK. I think euro to pound rates are in F18 but
you can check the net to make sure!

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Roger on Excel" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet i use to convert pound sterling to euro's.

I want the spreadsheet to automatically access the current exchange rate
from the internet for pound into euros so that i can push a button that would
update a cell with the current value

Can anyone help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

pinmaster wrote on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:40:00 -0800:

p Here's one way:

p Select any cell then go to Data/Get external data/New web
p query, in the text box type: http://www.x-rates.com/ click
OK, select New worksheet in
p the popup window, click on Properties, under Refresh Control
p select "refresh every" and "refresh data on file open" ,set
p the amount of minutes interval you wish the data to refresh
p and click OK OK. I think euro to pound rates are in F18 but
p you can check the net to make sure!

p HTH
p Jean-Guy

p "Roger on Excel" wrote:

?? I have a spreadsheet i use to convert pound sterling to
?? euro's.
??
?? I want the spreadsheet to automatically access the current
?? exchange rate from the internet for pound into euros so
?? that i can push a button that would update a cell with the
?? current value

Once again, I am not the OP but I need to thank you for telling
me something that I'd never known. The "external data get" from
a URL is not elegant but it works: "I live and learn". Has
anyone any suggestions for books discussing this and other
recondite techniques in Excel?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: