Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Multiple choice test data - How do I get Excel to deal with one row of data?

I entered data from a classroom test. The answers were in A-B-C-D
format, rather than 1-2-3-4 format.

Now, I want a pie chart displaying the percent of the class that chose
'A', the percent that chose 'B', the percent that chose 'C' and the
percent that chose 'D'.

In statistical analysis software, this is brain-dead simple.
Unfortunately, Excel seems irked that I defined the answers with text
rather than numbers. I've tried a Pivot Table, but get an error,
because I'm only selecting one row of data.

Is there a simple way to solve this?

Thanks in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say your A-B-C-D answers are in B1:B20. In C1, put A. In D1, put
=COUNTIF(B1:B20,"A")
In C2, put B. In D2, put
=COUNTIF(B1:B20,"B")
and so on for C and D. Then use this table for your chart. HTH, James

wrote in message
ups.com...
I entered data from a classroom test. The answers were in A-B-C-D
format, rather than 1-2-3-4 format.

Now, I want a pie chart displaying the percent of the class that chose
'A', the percent that chose 'B', the percent that chose 'C' and the
percent that chose 'D'.

In statistical analysis software, this is brain-dead simple.
Unfortunately, Excel seems irked that I defined the answers with text
rather than numbers. I've tried a Pivot Table, but get an error,
because I'm only selecting one row of data.

Is there a simple way to solve this?

Thanks in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Presently, the grading form requires only one row per question. I
want to have one function that can be applied to that row of data that
can list the various data occurrences and frequencies within that
row. I would describe the proposed solution as a "brute force"method
-- it requires additional pages of analysis and is labor intensive.

Any ideas? Suggestions where I might find this?

Thanks,

David

On Sep 29, 12:37 am, "Zone" wrote:
Say your A-B-C-D answers are in B1:B20. In C1, put A. In D1, put
=COUNTIF(B1:B20,"A")
In C2, put B. In D2, put
=COUNTIF(B1:B20,"B")
and so on for C and D. Then use this table for your chart. HTH, James

ups.com...