Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Jim is offline

Default Variance between two cells only if...

I would like to calculate the variance between A and B, but only if B is
double the number in A.

Example: the value in A1 is 500
the value in B1 is 1000
the variance I would like to show in C1 is 500

however:
if A1 was 500
and B1 is 750
then C1 would be "blank"

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the time.

Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=if(B1*2 < A1, "", A1-B1)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jim" wrote:

I would like to calculate the variance between A and B, but only if B is
double the number in A.

Example: the value in A1 is 500
the value in B1 is 1000
the variance I would like to show in C1 is 500

however:
if A1 was 500
and B1 is 750
then C1 would be "blank"

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the time.

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jim" wrote:
I would like to calculate the variance between A
and B, but only if B is double the number in A.

If this is related to your thread "Variance calculations", refer to answers
there, and please avoid submitting redundant postings. The bifurcation leads
to confusion and unnecessary duplication of effort.

But to answer this question:

=if(B1=2*A1, B1-A1, "")

PS: I suggest that you acquire a basic understanding of Excel fundamentals.
This question and your last one related to MAX are rudimentary. We cannot
possibly answer all of your questions as you learn Excel step by step,
especially if you demonstrate disdain for self-learning. One source of the
basics might be "Excel for Dummies".

I would like to calculate the variance between A and B, but only if B is
double the number in A.

Example: the value in A1 is 500
the value in B1 is 1000
the variance I would like to show in C1 is 500

however:
if A1 was 500
and B1 is 750
then C1 would be "blank"

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the time.

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Jim is offline

Joe User,

Your answer did not yield the correct result, thanks for the attempt. Also,
I find your tone condescending. If you feel my questions €śelementary€ť I
would encourage you €śnot€ť to respond to my questions in the future. This is
board is a help board not a forum for those that feel they have a better
grasp of Excel to demean others that do not.

Jim
****************

"Joe User" wrote:

"Jim" wrote:
I would like to calculate the variance between A
and B, but only if B is double the number in A.

If this is related to your thread "Variance calculations", refer to answers
there, and please avoid submitting redundant postings. The bifurcation leads
to confusion and unnecessary duplication of effort.

But to answer this question:

=if(B1=2*A1, B1-A1, "")

PS: I suggest that you acquire a basic understanding of Excel fundamentals.
This question and your last one related to MAX are rudimentary. We cannot
possibly answer all of your questions as you learn Excel step by step,
especially if you demonstrate disdain for self-learning. One source of the
basics might be "Excel for Dummies".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll probably find that "our answer did not yield the correct result" is
not sufficiently specific to get help. If you want further help you'll need
to explain what values you had, what formula you used, what result you got,
and what result you wanted (and why). Sadly, most of us here are not
clairvoyant.

And as for Joe's response, if you don't want to read the basic books or to
use Excel help, you might be more suited to
news:microsoft.public.excel.newusers than to
news:microsoft.public.excel.misc .
And it would be wise to read some advice on how to get the best value out of
newsgroups.
--
David Biddulph

"Jim" wrote in message
Joe User,

Your answer did not yield the correct result, thanks for the attempt.
Also,
I find your tone condescending. If you feel my questions "elementary" I
would encourage you "not" to respond to my questions in the future. This

"Joe User" wrote:

"Jim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jim" wrote:
This is board is a help board not a forum for those that feel
they have a better grasp of Excel to demean others that do not.

I am sorry if my comments offended you. I probably did not express myself
very well.

We -- and I, in particular -- help people all the time who ask elementary
questions. I see nothing wrong with that. And I do not feel it is
necessary to post such questions to m.p.e.newusers. These NGs have lost
their original distinctive purposes long ago.

But you asked a number of questions in just 2 hours, the two most recent
being very elementary. What I was trying to say is: I think it is an
inefficient use of your time to post such simple questions step-by-step as
apparently you are developing a worksheet to solve some problem(s). I think
it would be better for you if you learned the fundamentals from a book.

Generally, the "for Dummies" series of books tends to be very good
introductions to subjects. The quality is not uniform; and some of those
books "dumb down" the subject matter too much. But they do tend to avoid
esoteric features that can clutter the fundamentals, a flaw of many other
so-called introductory books. I am sorry that the title says "for Dummies".
I'm sure that puts off a lot of people, and it certainly can be
misinterpreted when we suggest it.

There was nothing intentionally condescending in my tone. I was simply
making a factual observation and offering a suggestion that I felt would be
the most efficient way for you learn the fundamentals.