Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to spill over into a "" cell?

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot spill text over if the adjacent cell has anything in it.

Re-design.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:07:02 -0700, Michael R
wrote:

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.

Gord is right.
Some suggestions:
Slightly wider column?
Smaller font size?
Use "Arial Narrow" font?

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Gord and Bill for your explanations and suggestions.

My current work-around:
across the whole row (row 2 in my below exlpanation)
=MID(TEXT(U3,"mmmm yyyy"),DAY(U3),1)
where U3 is one of the cells holding a date

It is not as "beautifully" formatted as it would have been in one single
cell with proportional font but still acceptable.