abfabrob

Default limit number of characters in a cell

I am creating an application form to be used electronically. I want a
particular cell to be free text, so users can write what they like (ie their
name), but I want to limit the number of characters they can use. Can this be
done?

I have put text wrap on the cell, but it still allows me to enter more
information than fits into the box. I want it to stop users entering info
when the visible cell is full.

Rob,
Teesside,
UK.

Springbok

Hi Abfabrob,

Select the cell(s) you want to limit, let's assume A1 is to be limited to 10
char.

Go to Data - Validation. Select "Formula" for the type. The formula would
be as follows: =LEN(A1)<=10

You can copy and paste validation to other cells using paste special...

Regards,
Jon

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form to be used electronically. I want a
particular cell to be free text, so users can write what they like (ie their
name), but I want to limit the number of characters they can use. Can this be
done?

I have put text wrap on the cell, but it still allows me to enter more
information than fits into the box. I want it to stop users entering info
when the visible cell is full.

Rob,
Teesside,
UK.

abfabrob

There is no "formula" in the list in the settings tab under data validation.
I am probably doing this wrong! Does it make a difference which version of
Excell I am using? (2000)

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form to be used electronically. I want a
particular cell to be free text, so users can write what they like (ie their
name), but I want to limit the number of characters they can use. Can this be
done?

I have put text wrap on the cell, but it still allows me to enter more
information than fits into the box. I want it to stop users entering info
when the visible cell is full.

Rob,
Teesside,
UK.

Springbok

Sorry, my mistake, it's "Custom". Xl 2000 definitely has it. Go Data -
Validation. In the settings tab there's a drop down list under "Allow:"
Within that the final option is "Custom". Once selected a text box appears
below, that's where the formula goes.

"abfabrob" wrote:

I am creating an application form to be used electronically. I want a
particular cell to be free text, so users can write what they like (ie their
name), but I want to limit the number of characters they can use. Can this be
done?

I have put text wrap on the cell, but it still allows me to enter more
information than fits into the box. I want it to stop users entering info
when the visible cell is full.

Rob,
Teesside,
UK.

L. Howard Kittle

Hi Rob,

Another way is to use the Text Length option under Data Validation
Settings Allow Text Length Choose the criteria you want Ok.

HTH
Regards,
Howard