Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to hide running total in successive cells in a column

I have a spreadsheet with a column titled current balance. When I enter
costs into other line items and this column updates with the new balance, the
balance shows up in all of the cells below as well. How do I stop that from
happeneing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jennifer,

assuming that your file looks like this:

A B C D
1 date descrip D/C Balance
2 Jan-02 xxxxx 100.00 100.00
3 Jan-15 cost -50.00 50.00
4 50.00
5 50.00

use on D column a formula =if(c4="";"";(d3+c4))

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"JenniferAnderson" escreveu:

I have a spreadsheet with a column titled current balance. When I enter
costs into other line items and this column updates with the new balance, the
balance shows up in all of the cells below as well. How do I stop that from
happeneing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

After some playing with it, it works! For some reason unknown to me, excel
did not like the use of ; (semicolon) but when I plugged in a , (comma) then
IT'S MAGIC!
Thanks for taking time to help me out.