Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Display "/" (slash) as a character, not as an action (divide)

I want to have data from worksheet #1 in say cell B6 and also cell C6 display
in worksheet #2, cell B6, as 2 different numbers separated by a slash (/),
which normally means "divide by". To better explain:
Worksheet #1
cell B6=129 Cell C6 = 82
displays on Worksheet #2 in cell B6 as:
129/82

The problem is that the slash is normally used for division.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Display "/" (slash) as a character, not as an action (divide)

To display the slash as a character and not as an action, you can use the following steps:
  1. In Worksheet #2, select the cell where you want to display the numbers separated by a slash.
  2. Type the first number followed by a slash (/) and then the second number. For example, type "=Sheet1!B6 & "/" & Sheet1!C6" (without the quotes) if you want to display the values from Worksheet #1, cells B6 and C6.
  3. Press Enter to display the result.

By using the "&" symbol, you are concatenating the values from cells B6 and C6 with the slash character in between. The result will be displayed as a text string, and the slash will be treated as a character and not as an action.

Alternatively, you can also use the TEXT function to format the values as a text string with the slash character in between. Here's how:
  1. In Worksheet #2, select the cell where you want to display the numbers separated by a slash.
  2. Type the following formula: "=TEXT(Sheet1!B6, "0") & "/" & TEXT(Sheet1!C6, "0")"
  3. Press Enter to display the result.

The TEXT function converts the values in cells B6 and C6 into text strings using the "0" format, which displays the values as they are without any decimal places. The "&" symbol is used to concatenate the text strings with the slash character in between. The result will be displayed as a text string, and the slash will be treated as a character and not as an action.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Concatenate, using &, like:

=A1 & "/" & B1

This makes the result text, not number.

Beege

bobdenver wrote:
I want to have data from worksheet #1 in say cell B6 and also cell C6 display
in worksheet #2, cell B6, as 2 different numbers separated by a slash (/),
which normally means "divide by". To better explain:
Worksheet #1
cell B6=129 Cell C6 = 82
displays on Worksheet #2 in cell B6 as:
129/82

The problem is that the slash is normally used for division.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Try: =Sheet1!B6&"/"&Sheet1!C6
--
Max
Singapore
"bobdenver" wrote:
I want to have data from worksheet #1 in say cell B6 and also cell C6 display
in worksheet #2, cell B6, as 2 different numbers separated by a slash (/),
which normally means "divide by". To better explain:
Worksheet #1
cell B6=129 Cell C6 = 82
displays on Worksheet #2 in cell B6 as:
129/82

The problem is that the slash is normally used for division.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi.
the slash sign is only used a divisor if you use the equals sign denoting
formula.
otherwize, it's just text.
as to displaying the contents of 2 cells from another sheet in one cell
seperated with a slash.....
=Sheet1!B6&" / "&Sheet1!C6

excel will not recognize the numbers as numbers, only as text.

regards
FSt1