Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Excel file with hyperlinks takes a long time to open over the network

Hi All,

I have an Excel (Excel 2000 SP3) file (2 Mbytes) with about one thousand
hyperlinks to word document or excel document. This Excel file is situated
on a machine on our network.
- When I open this Excel file from this machine : it takes about 5 minutes
- When I copy this file from this machine to my PC : it takes about 15
seconds
- When I open this Excel file from my PC : it takes about 5 seconds
- When I delete all the hyperlinks in this Excel file and I open it from the
network machine it takes 45 seconds

Could you explain why it is so long to open a file with Hyperlinks? And
secondly, is it possible to bypass this "long time" to be able to work over
our network?

Thanks for your help

Didier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Didier,
Don't know why you have the problem with hyperlinks, sounds
like you might be using Excel 97. You might try converting them
the worksheet hyperlinks. Actually you've not said where the
hyperlinks are connecting to like html pages on the web, to
a cell in another worksheet, to a cell in another workbook, to
a cell in a closed workbook. I was kind of assuming you meant
a link to an HTML page on the www.

---
HTH,
David McRitchie,

"Didier P" wrote in message ...
Hi All,

I have an Excel (Excel 2000 SP3) file (2 Mbytes) with about one thousand
hyperlinks to word document or excel document. This Excel file is situated
on a machine on our network.
- When I open this Excel file from this machine : it takes about 5 minutes
- When I copy this file from this machine to my PC : it takes about 15
seconds
- When I open this Excel file from my PC : it takes about 5 seconds
- When I delete all the hyperlinks in this Excel file and I open it from the
network machine it takes 45 seconds

Could you explain why it is so long to open a file with Hyperlinks? And
secondly, is it possible to bypass this "long time" to be able to work over
our network?

Thanks for your help

Didier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi David,

The Excel file is an Excel 2000 file. I open it with Excel 2000 SP3.
The Hyperlinks are connected to Word or Excel documents situated on our
network
The Hyperlinks are relatives and not absolute.
The hyperlink displayed is something like
\\servername\share\directory\filename . But even if the Hyperlinks are
absolute the behaviour is the same.

Didier

"David McRitchie" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Hi Didier,
Don't know why you have the problem with hyperlinks, sounds
like you might be using Excel 97. You might try converting them
the worksheet hyperlinks. Actually you've not said where the
hyperlinks are connecting to like html pages on the web, to
a cell in another worksheet, to a cell in another workbook, to
a cell in a closed workbook. I was kind of assuming you meant
a link to an HTML page on the www.

---
HTH,
David McRitchie,
My Excel Pages:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

"Didier P" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

After several research in Microsoft web sites, I have found this article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328440/en-us
It is said that :
How link paths are handled when a file opens
When Excel opens a file that contains links (linked workbook), it combines
the portions of the links stored in the file with the necessary portions of
the current path of the linked workbook.
It seems that Excel does not retrieve all the Excel file before doing this
job (in my case to retrieve the file it needs only 15 seconds and not 5
minutes). It seems that Excel retrieves the major part of the file, and
after Excel asks for each hypertext link stored in the Excel file and try to
rebuild the hypertext link. And because it is something like a protocol :
request/answer it is very long over a network (wan or slow network).

Is it something like that? Who can explain how Excel handles hypertext links
during the opening.

Didier