Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Loriandme69

Default associate alphabet letters with numbers?

I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is
there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

--
Loriandme69
Loriandme69's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28971

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''s Student

VLOOKUP()can help.

For example, make a table from A1 to B7:
a 1
b 2
c 3
d 4
e 5
f 6
g 7
and put =VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B7,2,TRUE) in D1.

Then in C1 put a letter and D1 will return the equivalent value

--
Gary's Student

"Loriandme69" wrote:

I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is
there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

--
Loriandme69
Loriandme69's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28971
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487034

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

Another option, try CODE()

With the single alphas listed in A1 down: A, B, C, ... a,b,c ...
Put in B1: =CODE(A1)
Copy B1 down

Upper case A - Z returns: 65 - 90
Lower case a - z yields: 97 - 122

If required, apply a simple arithmetic adjustment
to the numbers returned by CODE,
e.g. use : =CODE(A1)-64, =CODE(A1)-96, etc
--
Rgds
Max
wrote in message

I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is
there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

--
Loriandme69
Loriandme69's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487034

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Loriandme69

Thanks for the Help!

--
Loriandme69
Loriandme69's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28971
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487034

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

The suggestion was slightly off the "beaten" track, admittedly, but unlike
VLOOKUP, it's an alternative to consider if case sensitivity on the alphas
is desired.
--
Rgds
Max