Tim Gilderseeve

Default Scatter plot and line graph combination

Hi

I need to create a scatter plot of three ranges of data and then have three
lines for three different ranges. Is this possible?

I need to depict three classes of item and straight lines that separate
them. The items are plotted on the graph using a scatterplot as three
separate ranges. The lines (which represent mathematical functions) are to
be plotted as line graphs.

This is to depict a neural network classification problem.

I have tried editing the custom types by taking a copy of one that is
similar and then trying to modify it. Unfortulately only one of the ranges
has X and Y data ranges (which are needed for the plot) and the others have
just one axis (which is fine for the lines).

If anyone knows what I am trying to say, and has any ideas then please let
me know - I would be grateful

Cheers in advance

Tim
Jon Peltier

Tim -

Couldn't you just use scatter chart series for all of the data? Format
the "line" series to have a line with or without markers, and the
"scatter" series to have just markers.

The distinction between line and scatter charts has nothing to do with
whether the chart has markers only or lines connecting the data. Rather
it refers to the treatment of the category axis.

I've written a couple of articles which may help to explain the distinction:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ValueAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Tim Gilderseeve wrote:

[...]

Tim Gilderseeve

Thanks Jon

Thats done it. I hadn't thought of that because of the difference in the
data. However, it seems to be ok.

I have used Excel for years, but only now and again and my charting skills
are very rusty.

Thanks again.

Tim

Jon Peltier wrote in