Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula doesn't work unless hit enter again

Hi,
I have the formula below to calculate percentage of gains. It has been
dragged through approximately 70 rows. It has been working fine automaticall
calculating as I enter the data in columns K,L,M. However, today as I
continue entering data the formula does not automatically calculate. i have
to click the cell, place the cursor in the formula bar and then press enter.
i change nothing in the formula, but simply bringing it into formula bar and
pressing enter the formula then works.

Is it a fluke? I have tried reopening it but the problem persists.

Thanks in advance,
Clint

=((M27-K27)*100)/K27
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Formula doesn't work unless hit enter again

Hi Clint,

It sounds like your Excel might be set to manual calculation instead of automatic calculation. This means that Excel will not automatically recalculate formulas when you enter new data, but instead, you have to manually tell it to recalculate.

Here's how you can check if your Excel is set to manual calculation:
  1. Click on the "Formulas" tab in the ribbon at the top of Excel.
  2. Look for the "Calculation Options" section.
  3. If "Automatic" is not selected, click on it to switch to automatic calculation.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you can try the following:
  1. Select the entire column where your formula is located.
  2. Press F2 to enter edit mode for the cells.
  3. Press Ctrl + Enter to apply the formula to all selected cells.

This should force Excel to recalculate all the formulas in the selected column.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like calculation has switched to manual.

Tools|Options|Calculation Tab.

Select automatic.

Mike

"Whois Clinton" wrote:

Hi,
I have the formula below to calculate percentage of gains. It has been
dragged through approximately 70 rows. It has been working fine automaticall
calculating as I enter the data in columns K,L,M. However, today as I
continue entering data the formula does not automatically calculate. i have
to click the cell, place the cursor in the formula bar and then press enter.
i change nothing in the formula, but simply bringing it into formula bar and
pressing enter the formula then works.

Is it a fluke? I have tried reopening it but the problem persists.

Thanks in advance,
Clint

=((M27-K27)*100)/K27

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ToolsOptionsCalculation can be Auto or Manual.

Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
workbook opened in that session.

i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
mode would be in Manual.

If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

Confusing enough? <g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Whois Clinton" wrote:

Hi,
I have the formula below to calculate percentage of gains. It has been
dragged through approximately 70 rows. It has been working fine automaticall
calculating as I enter the data in columns K,L,M. However, today as I
continue entering data the formula does not automatically calculate. i have
to click the cell, place the cursor in the formula bar and then press enter.
i change nothing in the formula, but simply bringing it into formula bar and
pressing enter the formula then works.

Is it a fluke? I have tried reopening it but the problem persists.

Thanks in advance,
Clint

=((M27-K27)*100)/K27

Junior Member

Smile

Had the same problem just now. Excel 2003 SP3. Formula in G2 was =IF(ISBLANK(F2),B2,F2). Fairly simple.

AutoCalc set to ON. F9 did nothing. Shift+F9 did nothing. Alt+Shift+F9 did nothing, etc.

Even though F2 is blank, until I actually placed the cursor in the formula bar and hit enter, the formula in G2 did not display the needed value.

Workaround that worked for me was to sort so that all blank F column cells were easily accessible, place the cursor in the formula bar and hit enter in one cell (F2 for example). Copy F2 and Paste Special/Values in the remaining blank F column cells.

This worked for me. Hope it works for you too. All the best -