Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I show yyyy only on x axis of a chart?

I did not use a formula for the date (4-digit year only) in column A, I
manually entered the years.
When I attempt to create a chart, the years either show up as 1, 2, 3, etc
or as m/d/yyyy with the year showing in all instances as 1900.
Can you help me enter the yyyy only on the x axis of the chart?
Unfortunately there is no option for yyyy in "format cellsdate".
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

The answer depends on the version of Excel you are using.

2003:

Select the chart and choose Chart, Source Data, Series tab, and delete the
Year series from the Series box. Then select the Category (X) axis labels
box and highlight the range containing the years.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"JeanEM" wrote:

I did not use a formula for the date (4-digit year only) in column A, I
manually entered the years.
When I attempt to create a chart, the years either show up as 1, 2, 3, etc
or as m/d/yyyy with the year showing in all instances as 1900.
Can you help me enter the yyyy only on the x axis of the chart?
Unfortunately there is no option for yyyy in "format cellsdate".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you are making a line chart with data such as this
Year Sales
2004 1234
2005 2456
Excel will treat both columns as data series and the x-axis will be 1,2,3,
If you delete the text "Year" than make the chart, Excel will see the first
column as you category values. You can add the text back in after making the
chart
Alternatively, make an XY chart
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JeanEM" wrote in message
I did not use a formula for the date (4-digit year only) in column A, I
manually entered the years.
When I attempt to create a chart, the years either show up as 1, 2, 3, etc
or as m/d/yyyy with the year showing in all instances as 1900.
Can you help me enter the yyyy only on the x axis of the chart?
Unfortunately there is no option for yyyy in "format cellsdate".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Shane

Many thanks for that - worked a dream!! Why do the simple things in Excel
always involve more more than we think and take much longer than we imagine!!!