Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Custom cell format using random alphabetic characters

Hi all,

I want to create a custom cell format that allows for the following:
When someone types five digits (could be alphabetic or numeric or both),
automatically add "MCY ID" before it.

So for example:
if you type: 29H73, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 29H73"
if you type: 9992A, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 9992A"
if you type AA76P, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID AA76P"

ETC.

Is this possible? I'm familiar with Custom cell formatting, but can't
figure out how to do that specifically. It's the letters that are messing me
up.

Thanks!
Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Maybe using autocorrect would be sufficient.

Tools|Autocorrect options|Autocorrect tab
replace: 29H73
with: MCY ID 29H73
(and the other stuff, too)

This is specific to each user, though. And the autocorrect list is also shared
by the other programs in the office suite (MSWord, PPT, ...)

An alternative maybe to just do the normal data entry, then when you're done,
just do a few Edit|Replaces.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

You could use a helper column with a formula.

=IF(LEN(A1)< 5, "","MCY ID " & A1)

Or you could use event code to change in place as you type and enter.

Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:A100"
Dim cell As Range
On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
For Each cell In Target
If Len(cell.Value) < 5 Then GoTo ws_exit
cell.Value = "MCY ID " & cell.Value
Next cell
End If
ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:18:03 -0800, Access Joe
wrote:

Hi all,

I want to create a custom cell format that allows for the following:
When someone types five digits (could be alphabetic or numeric or both),
automatically add "MCY ID" before it.

So for example:
if you type: 29H73, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 29H73"
if you type: 9992A, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 9992A"
if you type AA76P, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID AA76P"

ETC.

Is this possible? I'm familiar with Custom cell formatting, but can't
figure out how to do that specifically. It's the letters that are messing me
up.

Thanks!
Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Yeah - I'm familiar with all the tools you guys mention. But this really
isn't what the client wants. Nothing in custom formatting, huh?

Thanks anyway for the responses. I appreciate it. If anyone else knows of
a way using the Custom Formatting box, feel free to let me know.

Thanks again!

wrote:

Hi all,

I want to create a custom cell format that allows for the following:
When someone types five digits (could be alphabetic or numeric or both),
automatically add "MCY ID" before it.

So for example:
if you type: 29H73, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 29H73"
if you type: 9992A, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 9992A"
if you type AA76P, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID AA76P"

ETC.

Is this possible? I'm familiar with Custom cell formatting, but can't
figure out how to do that specifically. It's the letters that are messing me
up.

Thanks!
Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Custom Formatting works only on numerics, not on text.

You can custom format a number like such "The amount is "#,##0" dollars"

but no way to custom format alpha/numeric mix AFAIK

Gord

wrote:

Hi all,

I want to create a custom cell format that allows for the following:
When someone types five digits (could be alphabetic or numeric or both),
automatically add "MCY ID" before it.

So for example:
if you type: 29H73, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 29H73"
if you type: 9992A, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID 9992A"
if you type AA76P, it'll automatically change to "MCY ID AA76P"

ETC.

Is this possible? I'm familiar with Custom cell formatting, but can't
figure out how to do that specifically. It's the letters that are messing me
up.

Thanks!
Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Custom cell format

Hey, it's pretty easy to do.

In the custom format, just type:

"MCY ID "#;"MCY ID "#;"MCY ID 00000";"MCY ID "@

Numbers are taken care of by the first 3 parts, and alphanumeric entries are done by the last (whatever text is entered in the cell will be placed where the "@" is). This doesn't make sure that only 5 characters are entered, but it's simple and easy to create.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default That didn't come out

Hey, it's pretty easy to do.

In the custom format, just type:

"MCY ID "#;"MCY ID "#;"MCY ID 00000";"MCY ID "@

Numbers are taken care of by the first 3 parts, and alphanumeric entries are done by the last (whatever text is entered in the cell will be placed where the "@" is). This doesn't make sure that only 5 characters are entered, but it is simple and easy to create.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default still won't show

"MCY ID "#;"MCY ID "#;"MCY ID 00000";"MCY ID "@
^^If that doesn't work, what you need to enter is

(quote)MCY ID (endquote)(pound sign)(colon)
(quote)MCY ID (endquote)(pound sign)(colon)
(quote)MCY ID 00000(endquote)(colon)
(quote)MCY ID (endquote)(at sign for email)

and it should work