Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Automatic Update of Currency Symbol Throughout Workbook

Dear Sir or Madam,

Is there a way that I can update the currency symbol throughout a workbook?

The workbook is a multi-worksheet document that contains many line items of
costs and their respective totals. I would like that on the input sheet i.e.
cover sheet, that when a user selects a currency from a drop down box - this
would then update the currency symbol throughout the document in all the
total boxes on each work sheet.

Is there a way of doing this? Other than going into "Format Cells Currency
Symbol" for each and every box?

Would love to solve this one as it would save me a great deal of man hours!

--
Kind regards,

Peter Nixon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As an after thought - would it be possible to have a macro run off the drop
down box? So if the user selected say "$" a macro would run that I had
pre-recorded that would alter the currency symbol in all the appropriate
places?

Or would there be a simply way?
--
Kind regards,

Peter Nixon

"Peterwnixon" wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Is there a way that I can update the currency symbol throughout a workbook?

The workbook is a multi-worksheet document that contains many line items of
costs and their respective totals. I would like that on the input sheet i.e.
cover sheet, that when a user selects a currency from a drop down box - this
would then update the currency symbol throughout the document in all the
total boxes on each work sheet.

Is there a way of doing this? Other than going into "Format Cells Currency
Symbol" for each and every box?

Would love to solve this one as it would save me a great deal of man hours!

--
Kind regards,

Peter Nixon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about an alternative.

You might be able to use Styles to do what you want.

You could change the Currency style
Format|Style|Select Currency
click on the modify button and change the number format to what you want.

Then all the cells in that workbook that are using that style will be changed.

In fact, you could create your own style (MyCurrency -- or something meaningful
to you), apply it to only the cells you want to change, then change that style
when you want to.

It might be safer than modifying a builtin style--especially if there are places
that look like currency, but shouldn't change.

And a word of warning...

Styles live in the workbook--not the application. If you have several workbooks
that need this, you'll have to add the style to each workbook. (Or merge them!
Format|Styles|Merge from one open workbook to another open workbook.)

And you could build a macro to change the style--start by recording one and
you'll see the code.

"Peterwnixon" wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Is there a way that I can update the currency symbol throughout a workbook?

The workbook is a multi-worksheet document that contains many line items of
costs and their respective totals. I would like that on the input sheet i.e.
cover sheet, that when a user selects a currency from a drop down box - this
would then update the currency symbol throughout the document in all the
total boxes on each work sheet.

Is there a way of doing this? Other than going into "Format Cells Currency
Symbol" for each and every box?

Would love to solve this one as it would save me a great deal of man hours!

--
Kind regards,

Peter Nixon

--