Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Connecting drop down list selection to data

I am trying to create a formula that will automatically insert data when
item(s) are selected from drop down list. Drop down list is text based,
while data is numerical. Help please!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to supply more information. Is the dropdown list a data validation
list or a drop down combo box? Perhaps an example of the data in the dropdown
list and an example of what you want the answer to be etc.

OssieMac

"hypnogic" wrote:

I am trying to create a formula that will automatically insert data when
item(s) are selected from drop down list. Drop down list is text based,
while data is numerical. Help please!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

it is a data validation drop down list -- and each entry has a series of
different row values. I'd like these row values to auto-generate by simple
selection of the drop-down list item.

I've unsuccessfully tried goal seek, choose, if and value functions. I'm
lost!!!! I have the idea but not the wording.

Thanks for your input. :)

"hypnogic" wrote:

I am trying to create a formula that will automatically insert data when
item(s) are selected from drop down list. Drop down list is text based,
while data is numerical. Help please!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your droplist in column A and you make a choice in A2, you want B2
and C2 (etc) to go grab some matching date to A2 and fill it in? Like
prices and rates and availability and such?

This is a standard VLOOKUP formula. If the sheet holding the data you
want to pull information from is on Sheet2, let's say Text Desc in
column A and prices in Column B.

On Sheet1, your validation list of descriptions is in cell A2. In B2,
this formula would pull over the matching price:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A2:$B$100,2,FALSE)

If there were date in column C you wanted, the formula for C2 would be

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A2:$C$100,3,FALSE)

Press F1 and readup on using the VLOOKUP formula.

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73