Junior Member

Default If Date In Cell Is Greater Than Todays

hello i wonder if you could help?

i have a date in Cell E3 and i would like it to be highlighted yellow if todays date is 30 days near to the date in E3?
thanks
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: If Date In Cell Is Greater Than Todays

Here's how you can highlight the date in Cell E3 if it's within 30 days of today's date:
  1. Select the cell E3 where you have the date that you want to highlight.
  2. Click on the "Conditional Formatting" option in the "Home" tab of the Excel ribbon.
  3. Select "New Rule" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box, select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format".
  5. In the "Format values where this formula is true" field, enter the following formula:
    Code:
    =AND(E3-TODAY()=0,E3-TODAY()<=30)
    This formula will check if the date in E3 is greater than or equal to today's date and less than or equal to 30 days from today's date.
  6. Click on the "Format" button to choose the formatting you want to apply to the cell. In this case, you can choose the "Fill" tab and select the yellow color.
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Format Cells" dialog box.
  8. Click "OK" again to close the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box.

Now, the date in Cell E3 will be highlighted in yellow if it's within 30 days of today's date. You can also copy and paste this formatting to other cells with dates that you want to highlight in the same way.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Senior Member

Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGJACK View Post
hello i wonder if you could help?

i have a date in Cell E3 and i would like it to be highlighted yellow if todays date is 30 days near to the date in E3?
thanks

Dear CRAIGJACK, Good Morning.

As you said, E3 is your date cell.
E3 = 11/05/2010 (mm/dd/aaaa)

Current date (today) is 10/05/2010 (mm/dd/aaaa)

The function =TODAY() shows up the current date.

I suggest you to use Conditional Formatting to follow your desired rules. DO:

The rule there will be implemented:
...... 1) If the cell E3 is Greater or Equal than Current DATE, AND Less than 30 days from now, then Cell Background turns to Yellow (you can choose the color you want)

How to do Conditional Formatting:
...... Click on E3
.......... Menu - Format - Conditional Formatting

When the dialog box appears, DO:
Condition 1: First field: The formula is
.................... Second field: type: =AND((E3-TODAY())<=30,(E3-TODAY())=0)

Button: Format and choose the background color you like(eg. YELLOW).

Once you've finished it : OK

It´s working.
Try to put diferent dates on E3 to test the change of background colors

Feel free to do any questions about it.
__________________
I hope it can help you.

Best regards,
Marcilio Lobão
---------------------------
Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Last edited by Mazzaropi : October 5th 10 at 03:15 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzaropi View Post
[...]

Ok thank you,
but now what if there are mutiple dates in Column E?
will the formula be:

=AND((E$3$-TODAY())<=30,(E$3$-TODAY())=0) ?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGJACK View Post
Ok thank you,
but now what if there are mutiple dates in Column E?
will the formula be:

=AND((E$3$-TODAY())<=30,(E$3$-TODAY())=0) ?
Hi, I am new to excel formulas and could use some help with this and my idea/logic....

I was able to get this to work, but I want a third option. Basically like this.

If more than 30 days to due date = Paid
If less than 30 days to due date = Due
If date equal to due date +1 = Overdue..

I have it working with =IF((Status!B2-TODAY())=30,K1,L1)
K1 = Paid
L1 = Due
J1 = Overdue

I played with it a little bit and came up with =IF((Status!B2-TODAY())=30,K1,L1)&IF((Status!B2-Today())<1,J1,K1)

And I tried this =IF((Status!B2-TODAY())=30,K1,L1)&IF((Status!B2-Today())=+1,J1) But shows DueOverdue

As you can see it shows two entries. It as if it still shows the result of the caluclation based on the original 30 days argument.

Any help to get the third option of J1, to be a viable argument in this formula would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cptn

Last edited by CptnRsk : June 3rd 14 at 07:26 AM