Kent

Default Unprotect Workbook

I want to unprotect my estimating workbook. My password works to open the
workbook but doesn't work to unprotect the workbook.
(1) If I choose toolsProtectionunprotect workbook and then enter my
password into the message box I get the message that the "password supplied
is not correct". Somewhere along the line my password became corrupt.
(2) If I choose FileSave As and click General OptionsPasswords to Open and
highlight the asterisks then Delete then Click OKSaveYes to replace the
existing workbook and then I close the workbook. When I reopen the workbook
it is still protected.
How can I unprotect the workbook? My goal is to protect the Master copy of
the Estimating Workbook with a password to open so others cant open the
Master Workbook and make changes. Then I want to open the Master Workbook and
save a copy of the workbook with a specific project name without the
protection. Then the estimators can use the project specific workbook without
the password. Thanks for your help.

Dave Peterson

1. There can be a password to open the file to make changes.
2. There can be a password to open the file (readonly mode).
3. There can be a password to protect the workbook.
4. There can be a password to protect a worksheet
5. xl2002+ can have ranges protected with passwords.

None of the passwords have to be the same. They can all be different (or not).

#1 and #2 are found under the File|SaveAs dialog.
#3 is found under Tools|protection|protect workbook
#4 is found under tools|protection|protect sheet
#5 is found under tools|protection|allow users to edit range

If you want to break the password for #1 & 2, you can try:
www.lostpassword.com
(I've never used it)

If you need to unprotect a workbook (#3) or unprotect a worksheet (#4), you can
visit JE McGimpsey's site:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

====
On top of this stuff, there can be a password to protect the project and it can
have its own unique password, too!

--

Dave Peterson