cs120

Default Period to Period percentage change?

What is the formula for period to period percentage change at annual
rates?

--
cs120
cs120's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27348

Gary''s Student

It depends upon the period. Lets say on Jan 1, starting with 10,000, we
desired an annual rate of 12%. One year later, (Jan 1 again) we would have
11,200. Lets also say the period is one month. In this case the formula is
(1+1/12)^(1/12)-1. This yields 0.94888%, which is just under the 1% we would
get without compounding. Testing this in Excel:
1. Put months in Column A
2. Put 10,000 in B1
3. Put =B1*(1+$C$1) in B2 and copy down
4. Put .94888 in C1