Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Error "invalid data source reference" for pivot table

I am attempting to create a pivot table (which I've done in the past) but I
get an error stating that the "data source reference is not valid." The excel
data was created from out internal software in Comma-Seperated Values (CSV)
format. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Error "invalid data source reference" for pivot table

Hi there! Sorry to hear that you're having trouble creating a pivot table. The error message you're seeing usually indicates that there's an issue with the data source reference that you're trying to use for the pivot table. Here are a few things you can try to fix the issue:
  1. Check the data source reference: Make sure that the data source reference you're using for the pivot table is correct. Double-check the file path and file name to ensure that they're accurate.
  2. Check the data format: Ensure that the data in your CSV file is formatted correctly. Make sure that there are no blank rows or columns, and that the data is organized in a way that makes sense for the pivot table you're trying to create.
  3. Refresh the data: Try refreshing the data in your pivot table. To do this, right-click on the pivot table and select "Refresh". This will update the data source reference and may resolve the issue.
  4. Convert the CSV file to an Excel file: If none of the above steps work, try converting your CSV file to an Excel file. To do this, open a new Excel workbook and select "Data" from the ribbon. Then, select "From Text/CSV" and navigate to your CSV file. Follow the prompts to import the data into Excel. Once the data is in Excel, try creating your pivot table again.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Check that the source range doesn't include extra columns at the right
or left.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What version of Excel are you using?
In Excel 2003, can you create a list from the data (DataList)?
In Excel 2007, insert an Excel table.

Then, try to create a pivot table based on the List or Table.