Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to format a cell to reflect a NIC's MAC Address ? (put in dash

I have a long column of NIC's MAC Addresses WITHOUT the dashes between every
2 characters. Need to know how to create an excel custom format to make them
all have the dashes without manually putting in dashes.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

what about to use =substitute(a2,"-","")

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"jfen" escreveu:

I have a long column of NIC's MAC Addresses WITHOUT the dashes between every
2 characters. Need to know how to create an excel custom format to make them
all have the dashes without manually putting in dashes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could insert a helper column and make it look like you want:

=if(a1="","",mid(a1,1,2)&"-"&mid(a1,3,2)&"-"&mid(a1,5,2)&"-"&mid(a1,7,2)& ...

(I got tired! Just continue until you're out of numbers! <vbg.)

jfen wrote:

I have a long column of NIC's MAC Addresses WITHOUT the dashes between every
2 characters. Need to know how to create an excel custom format to make them
all have the dashes without manually putting in dashes.

--

Dave Peterson