Thrava

Default Formula entered not working

In one particular cell where I have a simple formula in C1
=A1-B1 where A1 is 2005 and B1 is 1 (both are text
formated) gives the right answer.

But the formula in cell C2 which is equal to =C1-B1
where C1 is 2005 in text BUT This time B1 is 01 in number
doesn't work. When I type this formula in C2, the answer
remains as =C1-B1 not an answer, but the string "=C1-B1"

Anyone understand why?

Ragdyer

The cell was probably formatted as text *before* you entered the formula
itself.

Try this:
Click in the "bad" cell, then
<Ctrl <Shift <~
Then <F2 <Enter

This reformats the cell to General, then re-enters the formula.
--
HTH,

RD

"Thrava" wrote in message
In one particular cell where I have a simple formula in C1
=A1-B1 where A1 is 2005 and B1 is 1 (both are text
formated) gives the right answer.

But the formula in cell C2 which is equal to =C1-B1
where C1 is 2005 in text BUT This time B1 is 01 in number
doesn't work. When I type this formula in C2, the answer
remains as =C1-B1 not an answer, but the string "=C1-B1"

Anyone understand why?

thrava

this was the most bizzare stuff.
I copy all the cells into a new worksheet, and I have the
same problem.
I retyped everything in a new workbook and everything is
fine!
I checked and extra ' and stuff was not typed in by
accident

Sure there isn't a space in the second formula at the

start, it starts with
', or C2 is text also?

--

HTH

RP

"Thrava" wrote in

message
In one particular cell where I have a simple formula in

C1
=A1-B1 where A1 is 2005 and B1 is 1 (both are text
formated) gives the right answer.

But the formula in cell C2 which is equal to =C1-B1
where C1 is 2005 in text BUT This time B1 is 01 in

number
doesn't work. When I type this formula in C2, the

answer
remains as =C1-B1 not an answer, but the string "=C1-

B1"

Anyone understand why?

.

Thravatza

thank you

The cell was probably formatted as text *before* you

entered the formula
itself.

Try this:
Click in the "bad" cell, then
<Ctrl <Shift <~
Then <F2 <Enter

This reformats the cell to General, then re-enters the

formula.
--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so

all may benefit !

"Thrava" wrote in

message