Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Are there equivalents of wildcard characters to use in hyperlink f

At the moment, I have a spreadsheet that is an index to filed documents, with
a primary key of a number in column A. All the files are stored with the
number of the file as the filename. Eg G:\Research &
Resources\DATABASE\F23.pdf. Assuming my data is in cell A1, If I use the
formula =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("G:\Research &
Resources\DATABASE\F",A1,".pdf")), then it works well.

That's fine if they're all pdf documents, but there are excel spreadsheets,
and jpeg files, word documents and even folders. Is there a way that I can
get it to launch any or all things starting with what's what's in A1? I
tried =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("G:\Research & Resources\DATABASE\F",A1,".???"))
but it doesn't work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

The wildcard for filenames would be "*" but I cannot imagine it would
work with a Hyperlink.
How would the hyperlink know what to do if there were 2 files in the
folder, Test.doc and Test.xls?

Rather than concatenating the ".pdf" or attempting to concatenate ".???"
or ".*", just make A1 the full name
Test.pdf and use

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"caramon2000" wrote in message
At the moment, I have a spreadsheet that is an index to filed
documents, with
a primary key of a number in column A. All the files are stored with
the
number of the file as the filename. Eg G:\Research &
Resources\DATABASE\F23.pdf. Assuming my data is in cell A1, If I use
the
formula =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("G:\Research &
Resources\DATABASE\F",A1,".pdf")), then it works well.

That's fine if they're all pdf documents, but there are excel
spreadsheets,
and jpeg files, word documents and even folders. Is there a way that
I can
get it to launch any or all things starting with what's what's in A1?
tried =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("G:\Research &
Resources\DATABASE\F",A1,".???"))
but it doesn't work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Are there equivalents of wildcard characters to use in hyperli

Thanks for the help Roger.

The only problem with doing that is that is that the people inputting into
this spreadsheet may not even know what extension the file is, so I was just
hoping to avoid putting the extension is, although I'll probably just go
through the spreadsheet and update the links every now and then, with the
default being PDF's, as that is the most common file type.

When there are two files that would be named the same, then the way to store
things is by making a folder named after the two items and put the two in
there. Then when the link is clicked, it will launch the containing folder.

By the way, I just realised that I accidentally made two threads with this
topic, I thought the other one didn't work. The other one is named:
wildcards in hyperlink formulas.

Thank you for your help anyway. If I find another solution, then I'll post
it here.