abfabrob

Default formulas

I have created a spreadshhet and in one column I can enter data and the
"total" is automatically populated as an AVERAGE for the week's stats. It
works fine when I input the data. But when it is left blank (e.g. the column
for Thursday 14, for which I have no data yet) the following text appears in
the Average cell: "#DIV/0!" (without the quotation marks).

Can I hide or delete this so that it looks blank until data is entered
without removing the formula?

Thank you,

Rob,
Teesside,
UK
Kassie

Hi Abfabrob

You did not post your formula, but I think you are using a straightforward
formula. Just after the "=" in this cell's formula, insert the words
IF(<address of your empty cell here="","", - now go right to the end of the
formula and insertt a closing bracket ")" there
Regards

"abfabrob" wrote:

I have created a spreadshhet and in one column I can enter data and the
"total" is automatically populated as an AVERAGE for the week's stats. It
works fine when I input the data. But when it is left blank (e.g. the column
for Thursday 14, for which I have no data yet) the following text appears in
the Average cell: "#DIV/0!" (without the quotation marks).

Can I hide or delete this so that it looks blank until data is entered
without removing the formula?

Thank you,

Rob,
Teesside,
UK

abfabrob

Thanks for this. But I can't get it to work!

My formula is (literally):

=AVERAGE(D4:D8)

What should it literally look like with your suggestion?

Thanks again,
Rob

"abfabrob" wrote:

I have created a spreadshhet and in one column I can enter data and the
"total" is automatically populated as an AVERAGE for the week's stats. It
works fine when I input the data. But when it is left blank (e.g. the column
for Thursday 14, for which I have no data yet) the following text appears in
the Average cell: "#DIV/0!" (without the quotation marks).

Can I hide or delete this so that it looks blank until data is entered
without removing the formula?

Thank you,

Rob,
Teesside,
UK

Andy Brown

"abfabrob" wrote in message
Thanks for this. But I can't get it to work!
My formula is (literally):
=AVERAGE(D4:D8)

Try =IF(COUNTA(D4:D8)=0,"",AVERAGE(D4:D8))

HTH,
Andy

Dave Peterson

I bet you meant to count numbers:
=IF(COUNT(D4:D8)=0,"",AVERAGE(D4:D8))
(Just in case there's text in those cells.)

--

Dave Peterson

abfabrob

Andy,