zooming

Default Formula to count number of days in range which are less than today

Could anyone proivide me with a formula that will allow the following:

I have a range of dates and I would like to count the number of dates that
are less than todays date.

I have inserted =today() for the current date then tried the counif
function, however no joy.

Can anyone help

Thanks

MM