Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default MS Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when selecting single cell

I have an ongoing issue...various spreadsheets (none in particular...could be
one or two or all of them) will start taking on this behavior for no apparent
reason: when you click an individual cell, it highlights that cell plus
usually two to the right of it. Reformatting by using the format painter from
an unaffected cell (if you can find one at that point that hasn't been
affected) usually corrects it but it's time-consuming to manually go back and
reformat each affected cell. What causes this behavior and how can I stop it?
Or is there an easier fix for it? TIA!

Similar posts of interest, but not answering the question:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suggested workarounds are as follows:
1. Try tapping the wheel of scroll mouse, if applicable.
2. Try changing the page view from Page Layout to any other View option:
View tab Normal
3. Close the spreadsheet, open again and see if behavior still exists.
4. Close Excel, open the spreadsheet and see if behavior still exists.
5. If cell still selects multiple cells, up keyboard up/down/left/right
arrows to navigate away and then back to cell, then click in the formula bar
to edit
6. If it says EXT or Extend Selection in the bottom left corner of Excel,
then it is in Extended mode - try tapping the F8 key once
7. Try zooming out then clicking the cell selection again: View tab Zoom
Edit % in Custom field Click OK

Still waiting on Microsoft to acknowledge this is an actual issue and offer
a resolution, but for kicks, I have a Dell wireless keyboard that uses
Microsoft's IntelliType Pro driver (Driver Version: 5.1.2600.2180) and a Dell
corded wheel/scroll mouse that I guess uses the same as well!

"biz_kid1" wrote:

I have an ongoing issue...various spreadsheets (none in particular...could be
one or two or all of them) will start taking on this behavior for no apparent
reason: when you click an individual cell, it highlights that cell plus
usually two to the right of it. Reformatting by using the format painter from
an unaffected cell (if you can find one at that point that hasn't been
affected) usually corrects it but it's time-consuming to manually go back and
reformat each affected cell. What causes this behavior and how can I stop it?
Or is there an easier fix for it? TIA!

Similar posts of interest, but not answering the question:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default MS Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when selecting single

I am also having the same problem and I am using a dell wireless mouse. I am
still trying all the workarounds listed but what a pain. I hope a fix can be
figured out.

"biz_kid1" wrote:

I have an ongoing issue...various spreadsheets (none in particular...could be
one or two or all of them) will start taking on this behavior for no apparent
reason: when you click an individual cell, it highlights that cell plus
usually two to the right of it. Reformatting by using the format painter from
an unaffected cell (if you can find one at that point that hasn't been
affected) usually corrects it but it's time-consuming to manually go back and
reformat each affected cell. What causes this behavior and how can I stop it?
Or is there an easier fix for it? TIA!

Similar posts of interest, but not answering the question:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There was a previous posting regarding this problem (do a search for
"selecting multiple cells in Excell 2007"). The only work around that seems
to consistantly work is making sure you only have 1 page visable when in
layout view.

If you can see the bottom of page 1, for instance, and the top of page
2...you will have the issue of multiple cell selection. If you scroll the
page so that only one page is visable on your screen at a time, the problem
resolves itself.

This problem only seems to occur (at least by the accounts made in this
forum) when working in the layout view.

Good luck!

"biz_kid1" wrote:

I have an ongoing issue...various spreadsheets (none in particular...could be
one or two or all of them) will start taking on this behavior for no apparent
reason: when you click an individual cell, it highlights that cell plus
usually two to the right of it. Reformatting by using the format painter from
an unaffected cell (if you can find one at that point that hasn't been
affected) usually corrects it but it's time-consuming to manually go back and
reformat each affected cell. What causes this behavior and how can I stop it?
Or is there an easier fix for it? TIA!

Similar posts of interest, but not answering the question:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"biz_kid1" wrote:

I have an ongoing issue...various spreadsheets (none in particular...could be
one or two or all of them) will start taking on this behavior for no apparent
reason: when you click an individual cell, it highlights that cell plus
usually two to the right of it. Reformatting by using the format painter from
an unaffected cell (if you can find one at that point that hasn't been
affected) usually corrects it but it's time-consuming to manually go back and
reformat each affected cell. What causes this behavior and how can I stop it?
Or is there an easier fix for it? TIA!

Similar posts of interest, but not answering the question:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

I have been having similar problems but only in the workbook views - page
layout view. When in the normal view no multiple highlight occurs.

Also have found that with the cells highlighted hitting the keyboard arrow
keys eliminates the highlight. You can then then enter format whatever in the
cell.

I might also add that the file I'm working in originated in Quattro Pro X3,
saved as *.xls opened in Excel 2007 and saved as *.xls .
Hope this helps.....