Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can I use 'CONTAINS' in an IF Logical Test?

I want to use the IF function, but using a Logical Test on a given cell that
contains text, like 'Red; Green; Blue'. The cell may contain all, none, or
any of these words. If the cell contains Red, I want to Return Yes

My Function would look something like

=IF (Q2 CONTAINS "RED", "Yes", "No")

However, I only see IF working on numbers and not text.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I use 'CONTAINS' in an IF Logical Test?

Hi Mike,

Yes, you can use the "CONTAINS" function in an IF logical test. However, in Excel, the function is called "SEARCH" . Here's how you can modify your formula to achieve the desired result:
  1. =IF(SEARCH("Red",Q2)0,"Yes","No")

This formula will search for the word "Red" in cell Q2. If it finds "Red" in the cell, it will return "Yes". If it doesn't find "Red", it will return "No".

The "SEARCH" function returns the position of the first character of the search text within the cell. If the search text is not found, the function returns the #VALUE! error. That's why we need to use the IF function to return "Yes" or "No" instead of the error message.

__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=IF(COUNTIF(Q2,"*RED*"),"Yes","No")

another:

=IF(ISERR(SEARCH("RED",Q2)),"No","Yes")

In article ,
MichaelRobert wrote:

I want to use the IF function, but using a Logical Test on a given cell that
contains text, like 'Red; Green; Blue'. The cell may contain all, none, or
any of these words. If the cell contains Red, I want to Return Yes

My Function would look something like

=IF (Q2 CONTAINS "RED", "Yes", "No")

However, I only see IF working on numbers and not text.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions