Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I'm going crazy, Excel returns 0 for a simple sum

all i am trying to do is add j82 and k82 excel is returning a value of 0.
First i thought the formula was incorrect =j82+(k82/100) but that was not it.
Next i check the format of what's being added, they were all set to number,
no problem there. Next I Evaluate Formula this is where i am losin my mind it
steps me through the process
=J82+(K82/100)
=12243+(K82/100)
=12243+(72/100)
=12243+(0.72)
=12242+0.72
=0.00
There is no error sign nothing. Can any one help?

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: I'm going crazy, Excel returns 0 for a simple sum

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Excel formula. It sounds like you've already done some troubleshooting, but let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

Based on the steps you provided, it looks like the problem is with the value in cell J82. The formula is adding J82 to K82/100, but when it evaluates J82, it returns a value of 12243, which is much larger than expected. This is causing the final result to be incorrect.

Here are a few things you can try to fix the issue:
  1. Check the value in J82: Double-check that the value in J82 is correct and that it is a number. If it is not a number, you may need to adjust your formula or format the cell as a number.
  2. Check for hidden characters: Sometimes, there can be hidden characters in a cell that can affect the formula. Try copying the value in J82 to a new cell and see if the formula works with the new cell.
  3. Check for circular references: If there are circular references in your workbook, it can cause unexpected results. Check for circular references by going to Formulas Error Checking Circular References.
  4. Try a different formula: If all else fails, try a different formula to add the values in J82 and K82. For example, you could try
    Code:
    =SUM(J82,K82/100)
    to see if that gives you the correct result.

I hope one of these solutions helps you fix the issue. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like the data is text.

In a spare column enter =ISNUMBER(cellref) and copy down.

Do you get a return of FALSE?

Simply formatting to number will not change text data to a number.

You must coerce the data to become numeric.

Format all as General.

Copy and empty cell.

Select the data range and EditPaste Special(in place)AddOKEsc

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP