Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to change default row height

Hello,

I thought I'd share a cludge-fix I found for one of Excel's more
annoying non-features: inability to set a default row height and still
allow the occasional row that requires more space (i.e., one of it's
cells has multiple lines of wrapped text) to AutoFit if necessary.

Say you have the data shown in NormalSettings.png in an Excel file (see
attachments) and you want to have a little more room between the shorter
rows, but not have them all set as big as the expanded rows. One way to
do this in bulk is to select the entire spreadsheet and set a fixed row
height, but this chops off any cells that require more space than your
default height (see FixedRowHeight20.png). The only way to fix this is
to manually scan through your sheet and individually select all rows
with cells that need more room than your preferred row height and
AutoFit them (good luck if your spreadsheet is any size...) . If you
try selecting the entire sheet and choose Format-Row-Autofit, you're
back to the crowded display shown in 'NormalSettings.png'.

My workaround to this annoying problem is this: choose a column that
you're not using (I just select the very last column in the sheet by
holding down CTRL and pressing the right arrow until the screen stops
moving) and highlight the entire column by selecting the column header.
Then increase the font size for that column...voila, even your blank
rows will now AutoFit to the new font size rather than the font size
you are using for your data...effectively increasing your default row
height without sacrificing AutoFit capabilities. I find that using 16
as a dummy font size makes my data (which is font size 10, Arial) look
nicely spaced out, but experiment and try stuff until you find what you
like!

Hope this is helpful to someone out there...:)

regards,
rmt131

|Filename: Corrected.png |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5232 |